iTunes preferences deleted... maybe

Reaction score
I can't figure out exactly what happened, but I think I opened iTunes from the application folder in the HD instead of in the doc. When I did, all my folders were gone, all my downloads were gone, all my music was gone. I still have the music elsewhere on the computer (I haven't put it all back into iTunes, I think all I would have to do is drag and drop) but I was wondering what had happened. Preferences maybe? Settings or something? Any ideas on how to get my settings back?

Reaction score
It sounds like you deleted your iTunes Library file that holds that information..
If you have a backup you could restore it. if not you may have to rebuild it.

Reaction score
Like on an external hard drive, for example?

I can't figure out how I could have deleted the file, though.

Reaction score
yeah like on another hard drive or if you made a cd or DVD backup.. If you have not and have to rebuild everything by hand i-Tunes has a built in back-up that you can back up to cds or DVDs and it might be able to back up to a hard drive as will in case this ever happens again

Reaction score
I still have all the music on the computer, in a separate file. I was just wondering if there was a way to get the folders and stuff I had back.

Reaction score
Just opening the application from the Applications folder would not delete your files. Could you accidentally have moved them into another folder? I've done that sometimes when I double click and accidentally slide my mouse. Things "vanish" -- generally into an adjacent folder.

Open a Finder window and click on the "Music" icon. See what's listed there. Also, do a find and search for "iTunes Library" and then "iTunes Music." See if anything comes up.

Ask a Question