iTunes Playlist(s) to USB get scrambled

Reaction score
MacBook 10.6.8 (old, like me!); iTunes 11.4.18 (I think . . . typical Apple we're-so-far-beyond-cool mentality means the "about iTunes" info scrolls by in the smallest, lightest font possible, so it's just about impossible to read it):

Goal: Transfer Playlists to USB. Yes, that is supposed to be simple -- select Playlist(s) and/or tunes within them, click & drag into USB icon; that works.

BUT

Problem: My 'Original" Playlist (not MUSIC Library) is sequentially numbered as I want the tunes to be when I burn to CD; looks nice and orderly in iTunes . . . but when the list appears in the USB, Apple has decided to totally scramble the list (sequence numbers remain, but they mean nothing in this new disordered result. Also, Apple has decided to not only scramble the list but add other numbering that is meaningless to me and has nothing to do with the Playlist form I have created.).

ALSO

Burning to CD: In order to preserve my sequential numbering, and since the "original" playlist is too long for a single CD, I have created five "sub" playlists, wherein I have divided the tunes so I can merely burn each sublist to CD (and the sequential numbering will remain intact).

Problem: Sublist #1 (the first 22 tunes from the original list) will appear correctly on the CD (numbering sequence, song title, artist). The subsequent sublist CDs (#2 - #5) will have the sequential numbering correct, but the titles and artist info is replaced by "Tune !" "Tune 2" "Tune 3" etc. All the pertinent info has disappeared.

Q #1: Why does Apple scramble the "original" list when it appears on the USB and how can I prohibit that?

Q #2: Why are the other numbers showing up and how can I prohibit that?

Q #3: Why does burning the subsequent CDs (#2 - #5) result in the "Tune 1" "Tune 2" etc., business and how can I prohibit that and have the actual song info appear as it should?

Appreciate any info and assistance. Much appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

When you drag songs from iTunes to an external drive, it copies the files as is with the full original names. That includes the track number at the beginning normally - i.e. 03 Dream On.m4a - Dream On is track 3 on the Aerosmith - Aerosmith album. You will need to edit the file names manually unfortunately.

Burning playlists to CDs will keep the playlist order as shown in iTunes.

Sublists - do you mean playlists within a playlist folder? If so, you may need to make each an actual playlist, or try dragging them out of the folder and burn that way.

Q #1: Apple isn't scrambling it. iTunes uses an index to keep playlists in the sort order you want. When you export, it doesn't copy the iTunes index, just the files with their full names.

Q #2: You cannot prevent that - it's a manual edit.

Q #3: You may need to move the playlists as mentioned above.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question