itunes files in .trashes

Reaction score
Hi.

Just been trying to locate some files in iTunes. I have a mac pro, 4 hdd's, one of which is solely for the storage of music etc.
When i right click on a certain number of tracks and click on 'show in finder' it directs me to a .trashes file on my second hard drive. When looking on second hard drive this folder doesn't show up.
Any ideas why it would have been saved there, and also suggestions on correcting it!?

Thanks very much..

Reaction score
it means they are in the Trash, the Trash in the Dock is an aggregate of all the .trash folders on all the drives.

Each drive has its own .trash, this means you can put a file in the trash on an external drive, eject that drive, empty the trash, remount the drive and there is that file still in the Trash. Make sense?

So just look in the Trash. If it's not there, you can navigate to the .trash using Terminal.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Kaveman. Understand exactly what you are saying. But why would the files be in trash when they have never been deleted. They don't show up in the 'normal' trash!
I want to copy a selection of them onto a DVD as MP3 but just seems like a bit of a mission when they're not organised into albums or artist!

Reaction score
But why would the files be in trash when they have never been deleted. They don't show up in the 'normal' trash!
Yes, that is a mystery.

They may not even be there, iTunes could be making a guess.

To check, Open Terminal

cd /Volumes/YourExternalDriveName/.trash
ls -alt

this will list the files there.

Ask a Question