items in trash

Reaction score
i have a very strange item which i can not remove in the trash

i tried emptying it, at first the trash seems to empty so i close it. As i reopen the trash can the trash will appear again.

so i tried the terminal way of deleting this stubborn trash, when i drag the trash into the terminal the file name does not appear to be the correct one.

i tired dragging it out but it does not allow me. its just stuck i wonder is it because it have a strange file name cos the file name doesn't look right at all to me.

when i drag it to the terminal it looks like this Andy/ Volumes/XP/.Trashes/501/␀␀␀õ␀␀.␀␀

very strange help as i have tried all the possible ways of deleting it

Reaction score
iwhen i drag it to the terminal it looks like this Andy/ Volumes/XP/.Trashes/501/␀␀␀õ␀␀.␀␀

Do you happen to have Windows XP installed in a partition of your Mac? That path you showed above leads me to believe you have a volume named XP in your Mac.

Reaction score
now i have error msg when i try to rename this thing saying
the operation could not be completed
an unexpected error occured (error code -43)

Reaction score
i have fixed the problem now and many thanks for your suggestion.
the problem was actually due to the way that boot camp partitions the hard drive which created the problem. As Edigio mentioned the file path had xp in it. So i thought this might could be related.
The resolution for this was i booted my machine up into xp os then i went to the properties on my c drive, i then schedule a scan and clean disk which will scan my hard disk and repair any errors into this. I restarted my computer it went straight to the scanning process, once thats finished i booted machine in os x and the item automatically disappeared.
I think this problem will occur to any one who formats the hard disk via boot camp to install windows os, its a bug with boot camp which i hope they will resolve sometime soon as this caused me alot of stress and trouble.
Once again thanks for your help guys!!!!

Reaction score
Glad you sorted it. I thought the item was on the XP partition and OSX had recorded it - it does seem like a bug, but at least you can fix it with ease next time ;)

Ask a Question