Unable to empty trash items locked

Reaction score
I am using a Mac OSX version 10.4.11.

I put some mp3s into the trash but can't delete them. The message says "The operation cannot be completed because the item is locked." I tried to unlock the item but it couldn't be done. I then removed the items out of the trash to do the same and it still didn't work. All that happened is that I've ended up with multiple items in the trash that I now can't delete.
I've tried several things that have been suggested such as holding down the option key whilst emptying the trash but to no avail.
Anyone got any suggestions?
(I've seen Walrus666 message last year but I didn't understand what to do.)

Reaction score
I have run into this situation when I have deleted files or folders from an external drive then disconnected the drive and later tried to empty the trash.

I found that if I reconnected the drive and make that drive my current drive/folder and then empty the trash it goes away just fine... You might try that if your situation is similar to mine.

Also it would be really helpful if you checked out this article from Apple... http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1526

Good luck!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Have you tried using the 'Secure Empty Trash" found in the Finder ~> File drop-down menu?

What about holding the Opt key while right-clicking the Trash and selecting 'Empty'?

Try rebooting and repeating the above, or Download OnyX which has an empty trash command that will work in your circumstances.

OnyX is a Mac maintenance app and is very useful to keep your Mac running smoothly.

There are several other similar apps, all of which can empty recalcitrant trashed items.

Reaction score
Hold down the Option Key and Empty Trash.
Do a restart and try this again.

Ask a Question