Need help deleting items in trash?!

Reaction score
I had to d/l a program called "StuffIt 11" to decompress the WMP file that I downloaded. I accidentally made a copy of the contents folder. Well, I moved it to the trash as normal, but when I go to delete the folder it says, "The operation cannot be completed because the item "----------" is locked." Ok, so then I hit continue, but it keeps saying that different parts of it are locked. I hit continue a bunch of times, but it will not delete it. I tried to find a way to unlock it, but haven't been successful as of yet. Any help is appreciated!!!!!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Try holding the Option key down as you select Empty Trash. If that doesn't work, restart, then try same.

C

Reaction score
I tried holding down the Option key, and that didn't work. I also tried the same, but restarting the computer first. When I restarted it and held Option, it acted as if though it was going to delete it, then said the same thing again, ""The operation cannot be completed because the item "WMPhelp.htm" is locked, or "The operation cannot be completed because the item "WMPIcon.gif" is locked." Everytime I hit continue it show a different item that cannot be deleted.

Should I just move original and copy into the trash can? Would it not let it delete it b/c I might think that it needs it for the orig. program???

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Can you drag them out of the Trash, do a Get Info, unlock them, then try to delete them?

Reaction score
I individually deleted most of the files trying to narrow down the one that won't delete. There is a folder called resources that wont delete. It is the only one. I tried the get info on it several times, but it doesn't appear to be locked or at least it doesn't show that it is. I don't know, maybe I should delete the whole app (WMP) and see if that will let me delete it.

Reaction score
tick the info box in the about menu to see if its really locked or unlocked and if it has read and write permissions if its read only it can also refuse to be delted

Ask a Question