issue with unlocking a jpg

Reaction score
okay, I've resorted to the forums because I cannot for the life of me get this jpg off of my desktop

when I transferred my files from my old mac (tiger) to this one (lion), I ended up with a jpg locked and stuck on my desktop. I can't delete, move, duplicate, edit, anything.

I've tried everything that's been recommended in other forums, finder > get info > to unlock, but, while I can see the unlock box, it won't let me do it (it's pale.)

I have two accounts on this mac, and the account I don't use has permission to read & write the file. I've tried adding the account I do use to the list of permissions, but nothing happens (not even a "you do not have permission to do this &c &c). So I thought I'd switch accounts and use the one that does have permission to read & write, but I can't access this file from that account. I've searched for it and... nothing. Can't find it via that account. (I don't know why macs are set up like this).

So I have no idea what to do and it's been stuck here for about 10 months on my desktop and I just really want it gone. (It's an ugly stock photo from work too) Any help would be great, thanks.

Reaction score
open Terminal
type rm and drag and drop the file onto the Terminal window, that should enter its full path. Press Return.

Reaction score
okay, I tried it again and it's saying something about overriding the file, but I'm not sure what to do next or... if it's working at all

Reaction score
Hi,

I got this info from a friend this morning, she said that it has worked for her with such files. There is a little more added to Kavemans hint, hope it helps.

Open Terminal (Application->Utilities->Terminal, then
1) enter "sudo rm -i ",
2) then drag the file into the Terminal window (this is a shortcut to typing the files path),
3) then press enter
4) enter your password
5) if the file is indeed the one you want deleted, then enter "y' ( this deletion can not be undone)

Reaction score
Hi,

Pleased all is well, it was Kaveman and friend that take the credit,:D I stay away from using terminal as much as possible.;)

Ask a Question