Isight!!

Reaction score
hey everyone i have a G5 macmini and im looking to buy myself an isight, but it seems apple has discontinued the external isight. Does anyone know anything about this or a place where i could buy one. thx

Reaction score
....ebay

there is also no G5 mini there is a intel mini a G4 mini and a G5 imac but no G5 mini
look around on apple.com for a refurbished isight or for oversock on new world computing and places like that
nothing wrong with used isghits or just check trust acer logitech to see if they have mac compatible webcams
unless you absolutley need to have a isight to compliment your apple lcd screen appel mouse apple keyboard apple mighty mouse and apple harman kardon speakers

and an apple mousemat off course

also the isight isnt really discontinued its built in to the new imacs and ibooks and powerbooks ( i am not calling them macbooks )

its just not a seperate product any more which sucks if you want one or hate them
( i dont like web cams so if i buy a new intel mac im stuck with that damn thing in my screen )

Reaction score
@bluekatt: Do you know how well the various mac apps behave with a USB cam? I was under the impression that they're built to work best with a FireWire camera (which, incidentally, doesn't fit many other webcams than the iSight).

Reaction score
no idea though its not much of a surprise that they work best with an isight this is apple after all
my impression is that your mileage wil vary some wil work flawlessy others wil be miserable

Reaction score
The standalone isight is discontinued and you will not be able to buy a refurbished one from Apple.

You should be able to buy a used one from ebay though. There are a couple of other USB webcams here and there that are OSX compatible.

To be able to use other cameras with programs like ichat, the main issue is compatible quicktime integration and the fact that ichat only recognises firewire.

As well as the few specific Mac osx USB cameras being sold out there other than isight, you could also look into the possibility of running a program like Macam:

http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/

If you want to use ichat with other USB cameras, then ichatusbcam software does the job nicely for many:

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/

Reaction score
didnt i said most of that ?
and whybother with ichat which is nothing more thne a limited rather ugly repackage of aim
when you can get the full aim for free

i prefer aim thank you very much

Ask a Question