iSight Camera not working after display replacement

Reaction score
I recently changed the entire lid/display assembly on a mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro (Yosemite), using a brand new assembly. Everything worked perfectly with the exception of the camera. PhotoBooth, Image Capture and FaceTime all say "No Connected Camera" (or a similar indication that there is no camera), with System Information also not showing any device connected. I automatically assumed it was a hardware fault, and tried a second brand new lid, but had the same effect. I then started looking at software, and when I ran sudo killall VDCAssistant, the process wasn't found. It doesn't show up in the Activity Monitor either. Does this process run with no device connected? And if so, how can I start it in order to get my camera (or try and get my camera) working again? I've also tried an SMC reset, but it didn't help. Anybody ever come across this?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

As you have found out, the display assembly isn't a user-serviceable part. There are some steps that are very specific with regards to connecting the cabling, and internal parts can be damaged easily if not done properly. It sounds like there may be some electrostatic damage to the logic board connector for the display data cable, especially since you have tried two displays.

Have you tried a Safe Boot?

C

Reaction score
Possibly, but I was wearing a grounding strap and the battery was disconnected during all work. When you say the display data cable, are you referring to the display cable on the corner of the logic board? I haven't tried Safe Boot (but I will now), but I've booted from an external drive with Sierra installed, and it still didn't work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nothing in Safe Boot either. Wouldn't that disable the camera anyway though?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, the display data cable in the upper right of the logic board.

Safe Boot wouldn't disable the camera. No matter how you startup, you should see an entry for the camera in the USB section of System Information.

C

Reaction score
Nothing (camera related) in System Information under Camera or USB. Out of curiosity, what would make you think there's an issue with the display cable? I'm having absolutely no issues other than the Webcam problem...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Oops...the display data cable is just power/video for the display. I forgot that on that model that there is a separate camera cable on the left side of the logic board near the logic board.

The camera cable can easily be damaged if it is pulled up, instead of parallel to the face of the logic board. Is that cable connected?

C

Reaction score
Yes it came out parallel to the board, and with a great deal of care. And It seems to be properly reconnected.

Ask a Question