Is there a way to see what programs are currently in use?

Reaction score
Before I begin I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place. Now, here's my problem. I recently installed the GMail notifier on my MacBook then decided to uninstall it. A file called Google Notifer Quick Add CM Plugin.plugin stayed behind. I can send it to the trash can but when I try to delete it from there I get an error message that says "The operation cannot be completed because the item Google Notifier Quick Add CM Plugin is in use.

Here's what I was wondering. I know that on my Dell Desktop I could press Control + Alt + Delete and a list of the programs that were being used would come up and i'd have the opportunity to turn them off. Is there a way for me to do something similar to that on my MacBook? I've looked everywhere but can't seem to find an answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Well one way is to click on the Apple icon to the left hand corner, scroll down then select Force Quit or (Esc+alt+cmd). A little window will appear with all the current programs you have running.

A better way though would be to goto the applications folder then scroll down to the Utilities folder and open the program called 'Activity Monitor'

This will show all programs, background apps and how much cpu power they are using, memory, network activity etc.

Hope this helps.

Ask a Question