Completely Removing Installed Programs From OS X 10.7.5

Reaction score
It seems that some programs, once installed, cannot be removed entirely by dragging the program from the application folder to the trash and removing its icon from the dock. If this is true, is there a general solution to ridding the system of every file that is associated with the installed program?

Thank you for your help.

James Adrian

Last edited by a moderator:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What program/s in particular? Tell us the name of the app & we'll help you remove it.

There are certain apps that do come with a dedicated Uninstaller. If you trash the dmg after installation then you'd need to redownload the dmg.

Having said that, most programs that can be uninstalled by being dragged to the Trash usually leave behind such minuscule files that they don't pose a problem to Mac OS X.

There is a free System Preference Pane called AppTrap you can use if you prefer.

With AppTrap, when you move an application to the trash, you're automatically asked if you want to move the associated preference files as well. Now that's uninstallation, the Mac way.

Reaction score
Spawn_Dooley,

Thank you for this information. It is too bad that AppTrap requires 10.8 or higher. I have 10.7.5. but there is perhaps a valuable clue in its writeup: It mentions preference files. Is it just a matter of going into some directory called preference and deleting files with the application name in it?

Thank you for your help.

James Adrian

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
James, in the left hand column of the webpage just below where it says 10.8, there is a link to download the 10.7 version …

Was there a specific app you needed removing?

Reaction score
Spawn_Dooley,

Thank you. I didn't notice the 10.7 download, but now I have it. I don't have a specific need. I just recall having a problem in the past and I wanted a general solution.

Thank you for your help.

James Adrian

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I removed your email address from your posts. It is never a good idea to post it publicly, as automated Internet crawlers/harvesters can gather your email address for purpose of email spam.

C

Ask a Question