iPhone IOS 12.3.2 GPS data read problem

Reaction score
I know that when I take a photo on my iPhone 8 plus, it records the GPS location because I can see what Apple believes is the possible name of that location when viewing the picture on the iPhone. I cannot however find how to view the GPS number itself.

When I copy the picture onto my iMac and view the pictures in Finder and select GET INFO, I cannot see the GPS data either though Apple’s Help tells me I should be able to.

Do I have to download yet another app?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

The new Photos 3.0 app doesn't have as much Get Info (EXIF) information as it used to, nor does Preview. And, in High Sierra, the GPS information seems to be missing in a Get Info box in Finder.

Not sure when/why that changed. Are you running High Sierra or Mojave?

C

Reaction score
I am still using High Sierra as if I update I will lose Photoshop that I use very often. One day I will have learnt the Affinity software sufficiently to risk swapping and losing Photoshop.
The GPS data must be in there somewhere since the approximate location name shows when viewing a photo on the camera.
I will have to try another app. Any suggestions anyone?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Update:

EXIF apps for iOS
How to view the GPS coordinates for photos on iPhone

To view GPS for photos in Finder > Get Info
-Select the photo in Photos 3.0 app
-Choose File > Export Unmofified Original for 1 Photo
-Save to Desktop or you location
-Perform a Get Info, and it will show the Latitude and Longitude in the More Info section
-You can always use Image Capture to import photos from your iPhone to any folder, which will also be unmodified originals
-If you simply drag and drop photos from the Photos app to the Desktop, it strips this information.

The freeware app File Viewer from the Mac App Store also will show this information in the Info Panel, as will GraphicConverter 11 (IMHO the best replacement for Photoshop around), Affinity Photo, Pixelmator, etc. The photos HAVE to be unmodified originals however.

C

Ask a Question