Installer App Unexpectedly Quiting

Reaction score
Hello.

I recently have had a problem where the installer application unexpectedly quits when installing any application I try. It started when I went to install the latest iTunes update and the installer quit right at the point when it was finding my drives. Now it does the same thing for anything I try to install. Not quite sure what is going on here. Thanks for any help you can give.

Reaction score
Hello BioDiesel and welcome!

I would try repairing disk permissions. Go to Applications folder --> Utilities --> Disk Utility --> Click on Macintosh HD on the left hand side of the program. Make sure the first aid tab is selected. Click Repair Disk Permissions. When that has finished, restart your computer. I hope this helps. Let us know if you need further help.

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
I'd check your hard disk. Start your Mac from your installation disk, then run Disk Utilities and "Verify Disk." See if everything is ok.

Reaction score
Have you tried running a good maintenance app like Cocktail or MainMenu. Sometimes that could do wonders!

Reaction score
Could I possibly reinstall the installer app? Would it help? How would I do it?

I'm not sure that it would help but you can reinstall the Installer app by inserting your Tiger disc, double clicking on its icon on your desktop, double clicking on the Applications folder in its window, double clicking on the Utilities folder in its window, locating and selecting the Installer app, dragging the Installer app to your Desktop, closing all of the windows and ejecting the Tiger disc. Now you can proceed to install it by going to your Utilities folder, throwing the old Installer app in the trash (Or if you prefer, just install the newer one over the older one) along with its playlist file that you deleted earlier and empty the trash. After the new Installer app is installed, open it to make sure that it works. If it's working properly it should ask you if you would like to open something. Choose "Cancel" and close the app. When this is done, I suggest doing the Disk Utility routine again (Repair permissions and Disk), reboot and see what happens. Just in case you don't have the Tiger disc, I placed the Installer app in a zip on my iDisk for you. It's the same version (2.1.9) as the sucker hasn't been updated for three years! I'll leave it up there for a week or so. Good luck. Here's the link-
http://snipr.com/1w729-hchqkc

Reaction score
I just tried exactly that and it still unexpectedly quits. I repaired permissions on both the Macintosh HD and the drive itself. I've even tried some of the repairs in Cocktail. I did some searching online and found that the only real solution that someone found was they looked in Console for the crash error and found that it was a particular app that was causing it to crash. I tried this and from what I read, the crash log didn't refrence any other application names. Some other people mentioned that Software Update may be refrencing too many apps at the same time causing it to crash. I tried updating things that I knew were out of date (like my iTunes version 6.0.5) and as soon as I open the installer file the installer app crashes.

Reaction score
I just tried exactly that and it still unexpectedly quits. I repaired permissions on both the Macintosh HD and the drive itself. I've even tried some of the repairs in Cocktail. I did some searching online and found that the only real solution that someone found was they looked in Console for the crash error and found that it was a particular app that was causing it to crash. I tried this and from what I read, the crash log didn't refrence any other application names. Some other people mentioned that Software Update may be refrencing too many apps at the same time causing it to crash. I tried updating things that I knew were out of date (like my iTunes version 6.0.5) and as soon as I open the installer file the installer app crashes.[/QUOT

Here's two more things that you can try-
1. Quit all of your start up items.
2.Set up another user account on your Mac.

Reaction score
I checked my startup items folder - nothing there. Created a new account then opened up software update...same problem.

Have you tried disconnecting your peripherals and, or booting up in safe mode?

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

Learn how to start up Mac OS X 10.2 or later in Safe Mode.

To start up into Safe Mode (to "Safe Boot"), do this:

Be sure the computer is shut down.
Press the power button.
Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.
Tip: The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
During the startup in Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.3.9, you will see "Safe Boot" on the Mac OS X startup screen.

During the startup in Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you will see "Safe Boot" on the login window, which appears even if you normally log in automatically.

To leave Safe Mode in any version of Mac OS X, restart the computer normally, without holding any keys during startup.

Mac OS X: How to troubleshoot a software issue

Learn ways to troubleshoot software issues.

Is it a software or hardware issue?

You may not be able to determine this with certainty before troubleshooting. Troubleshoot software before hardware unless the issue prevents any software troubleshooting. See Mac OS X Troubleshooting: How to Isolate an Issue for more information.

Where does the issue occur?

A. If the issue occurs in one application only

For example, one application does not open or unexpectedly quits.
Mac OS X 10.4 or later: Mac OS X 10.4 or later can help with applications that unexpectedly quit by offering to open the application with default settings. If this doesn't help, skip to "Drag the application to the Trash and reinstall it if the issue persists..." below.

Make sure you are using the latest version of the software. Check with the manufacturer if the product is published by a third-party.
If the issue only occurs while using a specific document, try creating a new document or replacing your document with a backup. Your document may be damaged. If possible, try testing with either a new file or a known-good file.
Drag any preference files associated with the application from your Preferences folder to the desktop, and try again. If you do not know where the application stores its preference files, look in these locations:
In the Library folder that is in your home directory. Look for documents or ".plist" files named after the application.
In folders named after the application.
In the Preferences, Caches and Application Support folders in ~/Library and /Library .
Tip: If you are unable to identify a specific preference file, drag the entire ~/Library/Preferences folder to your desktop, then log out or restart. You may need to reconfigure some system settings.
Tip: If removing preference files resolves the issue, choose the application's Preferences menu command to restore settings, one or a few at a time, to help isolate the cause if the issue returns.

Drag the application to the Trash and reinstall it if the issue persists. Some Apple applications that may have been included with your computer can be reinstalled by using the Install, Restore, or iLife disc that came with the computer. See this document for Mac OS X 10.4 information.
B. If the issue occurs in Mac OS X or in various applications

For example, no applications can be opened.

Tip: If the issue began right after you a Mac OS X reinstallation (excluding erase-installation), see Applications don't work after reinstalling Mac OS X.

The first and easiest test to try is to see if the issue affects another user account. Each user has customized preferences and other items stored in her home directory.
From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
From the View menu, choose Users (Mac OS X 10.2 or earlier) or Accounts (Mac OS X 10.3 or later).
Click New User (Mac OS X 10.2 or earlier), or "+" (Mac OS X 10.3 or later).
Give the new user a name and short name.
For Mac OS X 10.3.x or earlier, click the Password tab, and give the user a password.
For Mac OS X 10.3 or earlier, click Security.
Select the checkbox for "Allow user to administer this computer". This makes the user an administrator user.
Click OK or quit System Preferences.
Log out of Mac OS X and log back in as the new administrator user.

If this resolves the issue, there may be an issue with a preference file in the home directory of the original user account. Start up from the original account and refer to section II-A, step 3 above for troubleshooting information.

For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, start up in Safe Mode, see "Mac OS X: How to Start Up in Safe Mode". If the issue does not occur, there may be an issue with a login item or kext file. Refer to "Mac OS X: Troubleshooting a Startup Issue" for troubleshooting suggestions.
If the issue does not appear to be related to preferences, a login item, or a kext file, and persists in Safe Mode, there may be an issue with a cache file in your home folder:
Go to ~/Library
Drag the Caches folder to the desktop.
Attempt to reproduce the issue.
If issue is resolved, drag the Caches folder to the Trash.
If issue persists, go to /Library.
Drag the Caches folder to the desktop.
If issue is resolved, drag the Caches folder to the Trash.
If issue persists, go to step 4.
Tip: The Caches folder is similar to the Preference folder in that each time an application is opened, a new file is written. It is not necessary to troubleshoot these files.

If the issue persists, there may be an issue with a third-party font file in your home folder:
Tip: With Mac OS X 10.3 or later, you can enable and disable fonts using Font Book instead of the steps below. See "Turning a Font Off or On".

Go to ~/Library
Drag the Fonts folder to the desktop.
Log out and back in, or restart.
If issue no longer occurs, reinstall any third-party fonts. Delete the former Fonts folder when finished, then stop here.
If the issue persists, go to /Library.
Drag the Fonts folder to the desktop.
Log out and back in, or restart.
If issue no longer occurs, reinstall any third-party fonts. Delete the former Fonts folder when finished.
C. If the issue persists

Reaction score
Even after going through that troubleshooting, the problem still persists. After every change I made, I restarted and the same problem occured in the same way, on both users too. I really appreciate the help. I find it odd that nothing has worked yet.

Reaction score
Even after going through that troubleshooting, the problem still persists. After every change I made, I restarted and the same problem occured in the same way, on both users too. I really appreciate the help. I find it odd that nothing has worked yet.

Wow, it sounds like you'd be better off reinstalling the OS.

Reaction score
Hahaha, I just did that before I saw your post. The problem with Software Update and Installer must have been fixed in the process since both work a-o-k now. Thanks again for the help. This is one of the most helpful mac forums out there.

Ask a Question