Install Leopard with Time Machine Backup via USB?

Reaction score
Hello folks,

after some years, I've managed to severely destroy my Mac OS X 10.5.8 installation. I do have a Time Machine Backup from April, which I intend to use. However, it appears that for a whole system restore using Time Machine under Leopard, I do need to boot from my installation DVD. My internal superdrive isn't working anymore. I borrowed an external superdrive and partly worked my way around the restrictions that it only works with a Macbook Air or mini by editing the com.apple.boot.plist. However, although it now accepts my disks, it still doesn't show up in finder, nor is it ejecting them again.
So my plan was to format an USB stick as bootable by taking a stick and the disc to a friends Macbook and creating a bootable USB stick with the disk utilities. Is it possible to install Leopard from a USB Stick while restoring a whole system backup with time machine, like it would be with the DVD?

Thx in advance.

Reaction score
So essentially, if I do prepare a USB stick Leopard can be installed from, during the installation process the same dialogues will appear as they would during installation from a DVD, including the option "Select a Backup Source" from where I can choose my Time Machine backup?

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, but as I said I have not used this route although have created a bootable ML USB just never used it, give me a few mins and ill post back results.

Reaction score
Hi,

Well I get the option yes, but this is with ML. Once you have created the USB disk make sure the Mac is off plug in the USB and boot but hold down the option key (alt) until you see my second screen shot.

Also as a foot note this bootable USB will never show in finder. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 247

Ask a Question