Install 10.10.4 over 10.10.5

Reaction score
Hello,

I updated to 10.10.5 a few days ago, not my mac keeps freezing after I put it to black screen (mouse left bottom corner), when I want to use the mac for the second time it freezes and I only see the ball (stil able to move the mouse).
Did all the hardware checks but nothing was found.

I just downloaded the previous version 10.10.4 and I can install it, but I don't know what will happen to my settings? Can I just install 10.10.4 over 10.10.5??? or is it going to wipe my disk?

Greetings,

Richard

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Technically, we cannot offer support for beta versions of OS X, as they fall under the Apple Developer and/or Public Beta software license, terms & conditions, and NDA. However, it is never recommended to install beta software on your only computer with your live data, unless you have a current and complete Time Machine or other backup of your data on another drive. It is always recommended to only install and test best software on a separate hard drive dedicated for that purpose.

I am not sure what it will do to your settings, so I have nothing to suggest or guess. I am pretty sure the only path to downgrade is via a complete hard drive erase & reinstall of Yosemite.

Sorry,

C

Reaction score
Usually, Apple provides a way to revert back/downgrade, but I cannot find such information. If you do have either a Time Machine backup that was made before you "upgraded" to OS 10.10.5, or (better yet) a SuperDuper! backup that was made before you upgraded, then you can first do as Cory suggested in erasing, formatting, and partitioning your hard drive via the Recovery Partition (hopefully the one with OS 10.10.5 is OK, assuming that got "upgraded" also). Next, install OS 10.10, then use Migration Assistant to retrieve all your non-Apple system files, folders, etc. from whichever backup you have, and finally apply the OS 10.10.4 Combo Updater.

Ask a Question