iMac with Drop Box problem?

Reaction score
I am using a 21.5" iMac with Retina 4K display (solid state drive). When I am expecting automatic updates . . . I get a message that states:
"Drop box" prevented updates being installed. Click restart to complete the updates.
When I click restart the iMac just sits idle and nothing happens.
I eventually have to manually restart the iMac (using the button on the back). But the updates are not installed. The specific update I was anticipating was:
Security update 2020-004 10.13.6
Would appreciate any guidance with this issue. Thanks

Reaction score
Try this: Go to Applications and open the Dropbox.app, which is the desktop application for Dropbox. Once opened, go to the menus and select "Dropbox > Preferences". Untick the option to Start Dropbox on system startup.

Now restart the Mac, Dropbox shouldn't be running, and see if the update installs.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, but . . .
I neglected to mention that when I click on the restart button, iMac closes apps but curser is still present (did not shut down). I have to manually close the iMac (button on back), then press that button again until I hear the sound indicating that iMac is starting. After iMac restarts this way . . . that specific update was NOT installed. I tried your suggestion to untick options in Dropbox preferences - no change. Any ideas?

Ask a Question