UPGRADE MACBOOK PRO AND IMAC

Reaction score
Believe it or not I am using a MID 2011 IMAC and also a Early 2011 Macbook Pro, when i got them they were upgraded a bit

The IMAC is generally going quite well as it has a 1TB hard drive and also a 250GB SSD but it only had the standard 4GB of RAM

The MACBOOK PRO was the Intel I7 but again it only had the 4GB of 1333 DDR3 ram

I made the mistake of updating the MACBOOK PRO to run High Sierra and since then i get the dreaded spinning beachball on a regular basis .

I really only use the laptop when actually at weddings to upload all the pictures quickly into lightroom
This then can allow me to have a slideshow up and running when the couple finish their meal

However since updating to High Sierra I have found some big problems

1) Often it takes ages to just start up the Macbook
2) Starting up Lightroom can be really slow if it starts at all
3) I have noticed that even the USB slots seem to be sluggish and tempramental

The Macbook Prop has 2 x2gGB 1333 DDR ram chips so I was wondering about if its possible to swap those out and replace with 2x4GB to give 8GB RAM (which i believe is the max). Would that help solve the sluggish nature of the laptop and lightroom.

The hard drive etc on the Macbook is only ever used for temporary storage and then cleared so its about 85% free
Ideally I would strip back the laptop of everything except the Operating system, Lightroom and Photoshop

The IMAC also only has 2C2GB 1333 DDR3 ram chips (but it has 4 slots) so i wondered if we upgrade the MACBOOK could we add the 2X 2GB ram chips from the Macbook to the addtional slots in the IMAC thus doubling its RAM

Of course if you have better cost effective solutins I would happily hear them

Reaction score
I should have also asked --- I note that officially Apple states that the max RAM for this is 8GB but i heard others say that it CAN ise 2x8Gb
Is this true

Reaction score
4GB of RAM is certainly too little for the MacBook. I have an old 11" MacBook Air running El Capitan with only 4GB of RAM and it is almost unusable. Upgrade it to the maximum supported amount. As regards using old 2 x 2GB sticks in the iMac, they would need to be identical to the existing ones in the iMac.

Ask a Question