wifi drops out on my imac

Reaction score
So wifi dropping out on my mac with the main router has been a problem thats annoyed me progressively and its at the point I cant even use the internet, at least without wanting to put my router through my computer screen and torch them both in a fire.

I connect to our wifi, and it will drop out after seconds. I'll be lucky to stay connected for a minute and it'll drop again. I'll go through network diagnostics, where it'll go step by step, and green lights, Wifi, Wifi settings, network settings, ISP, internet and server. Green light for everything, and then in the background, after a bit everything below Wifi and sometimes and perhaps morre often, wifi settings, goes red (again, using network diagnostics to solve the problem).

I have 10.8 os X and the router is an apple Z or whatever one its called.
When i make my phone a wifi hotspot, it doesn't drop.
I had a problem with the router dropping before we got the apple router (which we thought would solve the problem)

I want to know why it keeps dropping, with 3 out of 4 bars reception, and if there is a problem, why running Network Diagnostics fixes it again only for it to go after 30 seconds.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

A question is this the only device you have issues with, IE no problem with phone > printer etc.
Have you tried the following.
Go into Network in System Preferences, under Wi-Fi, click Advanced, and remove all prefered networks and then reconnect to your desired Wi-Fi.

Reaction score
yeah i deleted every setup i could find and started fresh, still dropping out. I have a sort of crappy phone and it may drop out too, but no where near the frequency of my computer.

Using my phone right now and its staying connected, it used to be fine for so long and its screwing up now. Tried resetting the router etc

Reaction score
Hi,

You do not say if this is iMac or portable Macbook, if portable have you tested on friends or public WiFi.

Edit:

From your first post possibly an ISP issue as this has happend with two modems. But above test would be good just to clarify your card has no issues.

Ask a Question