iMac podcasting

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I did a podcast back when podcasting was just starting with a Mac mini, so it can easily be done with an iMac.

I assume you want a setup for four participants, correct? The equipment required would depend on your budget, quality expectation, if all participants will be in the same location, any post-production you may want to do, etc. For a four participant rig, you would need at least a 4-8 channel mixer (analog/digital) to connect the mics, with a USB/Thunderbolt output to record multiple channels with the iMac. If you want all participants to hear with headphones, you may need a headphone amplifier, which can split the headphone signal to drive four sets of headphones. You can use GarageBand, Audacity, Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, etc. as you DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).

That is the basic setup, as you can get more complex for additional guests, additional channels for effects/audio loops, etc.

Hope that helps.

C

Reaction score
Awesome. I have the MOVO bundle pack.
https://www.amazon.com/Movo-Univers...=1&keywords=movo+bundle&qid=1608677786&sr=8-9

I did not buy the mixer because I thought iMac would do it all. So I will get that I guess, hope I won’t have to spend much more. I bought a Canon camera, tripod also because I’m going to do video podcast. Please feel free to send me any more information that you think will be useful. Thank you.

C.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

OK, I will take a look at the MOVO gear. You will probably need a mixer, since you cannot connect 4 mics to the iMac directly, and I may be able to suggest a less expensive unit that will work with the MOVO.

Do you already have the headphones?

I will get back to you,

C

Reaction score
Hi,

OK, I will take a look at the MOVO gear. You will probably need a mixer, since you cannot connect 4 mics to the iMac directly, and I may be able to suggest a less expensive unit that will work with the MOVO.

Do you already have the headphones?

I will get back to you,

C
Thank you. The headphones are in the mail as we speak. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

C.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I took a look, and you may probably need the following to use all four mics and headphones simultaneously as I mentioned previously:
-a mixer with at least four mic inputs and a USB output, or a USB audio interface with four mic inputs
-Some form of headphone amplifier/mixer - to allow all participants to hear the mix at the same time

Movo: I am not sure you can use four mics with the USB adapter simultaneously. If so, you wouldn't probably need an audio interface/mixer. They also state they are condenser mics - normally this would require an audio interface/mixer with phantom power for the mic inputs. It actually may be a good idea to contact Movo and explain the setup you are trying to do, as they may have recommendations on how to use all four mics in the set via USB or audio interface.

I would probably recommend some form of USB audio interface, as they work very well and are normally less expensive than a digital mixer setup. Some recommended brands are Focusrite, PreSonus, Mackie, Behringer, etc. The Focusrite Scarlett series USB audio interfaces are extremely good. The others are more of analog/digital mixers with USB outputs.

Focusrite, PreSonus, Mackie, and Behringer all make headphone mixer/amplifiers that can control four sets of headphones.

Of course, the price range varies depending on number of inputs, quality, etc. I would expect to spend at least several hundred dollars for the audio interface and headphone unit.

What kind of budget are you looking at?

C

Ask a Question