SOLVED iMac iPad and iPhones stopped "communicating"

Reaction score
So, 3 days ago all of the sudden without anything being done, I was no longer able to make a phone call on my iMac or iPad using my iPhone. If I placed the call on my iPhone and click the speaker button and selected either the iPad or iMac the call never would transfer to that device. I did a search to see what may be the problem, and I did everything that I read, I logged out of my iCloud account, and back in. I made sure that my FaceTime and my iMessages were all logged in using my AppleID. EVERYTHING was correct, but I am still unable to get the calls to work.

So, then I get on the iMac and I attempt to ping the IP address of the iPad and I get no response. if I attempt to ping the name Daniels-ipad I get name resolution but no ping response. I can also get name resolution for daniels-iphone and Pattys-iphone but I get no ping response from those either. I installed a ping program on my iPad and attempting to ping my iMac and again if I ping the name Daniels-imac I get name resolution but no ping response. Even though, my iPad can't ping my iMac, I can ping other non apple devices on my network, I have a couple of Windows machines, some TV's etc. The ONLY devices on the network that wont talk to each other are the Apple devices. I also have an old timecapsule that I do NOT use for the wireless connectivity and I am able to ping that device from the iPad or the iMac.

So, the problem is the apple devices, daniels-ipad, Daniels-imac, Daniels-iphone, and Pattys-iphone can't ping each other on the network, but can ping other devices and out to the internet, I usually just ping 4.2.2.2 to verify internet is up.

So, in a last ditch effort to try and to determine what is or what isn't going on, I setup the wireless hotspot on my work iPhone, and set up my iPad, iMac and iPhone to connect to the work iPhone hotspot and all of the sudden they all start to work, and can ping each other, and the calls can be made on one device or another, etc. So, that points to my wireless router.

So, I reconfigure all the devices to reconnect back to my home wifi network, the iDevices can no longer ping each other, and the calls have stopped working, but they are able to connect to the internet. Then in an attempt to utilize another wireless access point, I then reconfigured my timecapsule to become a wireless router, I did NOT have a internet connection on the timecapsule, just the local wifi. I connected my iMac, iPad, and iPhone to it, and again, they were UNABLE to ping each other and the iPad and iMac could not make phone call using the iPhone. I dont know if this is because of the lack of a internet connection on the timecapsule, or because of the same issues. I wouldn't think that a internet connection would be needed since it is just a wifi connection to my iPhone to make the call and it isn't destined to the internet.

So, everything is connected back to my regular home wifi and the iDevices can't ping each other, they can get to the internet, and I reboot the wifi router, and when it comes back online for about 20 pings I can ping my iDevices from each other, I can ping them from my windows PC, everything works, if I try and make a phone call while they can ping it works. Then after about 20 or 30 ping responses, the devices stop responding to each other and everything goes back to the way it was.

So, from the looks of it, it has something to do with my wireless router, but I dont know because I had the same problem on my timecapsule. If anyone at all can assist me I would be very much in your debt. If you need any further network information I can get you whatever info you will need.

Thanks.

Dan

Reaction score
I just wanted to write a follow-up to this, and let everyone know, the problem is NOT with the iOS or iMac device it is a problem with the Spectrum wifi router. If I connect the devices to ANY other wifi network everything works fine. So, im waiting on Spectrum to tell me what they changed a couple of days ago.

Reaction score
Problem resolved, alas only temporarily, because as the tech said after he replaced the wifi router, once they do a firmware update it may stop working again. So, this was NOT a Apple product caused issue.

Ask a Question