imac G5 not starting up/turning itself off

Reaction score
i received an imac g5 as a gift this past summer from a friend who didn't need it anymore. I think it's a 2005 and is pre-isight, 20", 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD.

It was working perfectly fine up until the second week of december when it started turning itself off randomly, and then i started having issues with turning it on. Sometimes it turns on (very rarely) when i hit the power button, but often i can hear it "turn on" but not turn on, as in i can hear it doing something, but there's not power up light or anything, and if i hit the button again the noise goes away.

On one of the rare occasions i was able to turn it on with the power button, I was able to set it to wake up automatically at specific times, which it does (but then sometimes it will turn itself right off again after an hour or even just a few minutes).

Is this something major that's wrong? Or could it be a quick fix with a trip to a computer store to have something replaced?

I've grown quite attached to my little mac, i would hate to have to bury her!

thanks!

Reaction score
i received an imac g5 as a gift this past summer from a friend who didn't need it anymore. I think it's a 2005 and is pre-isight, 20", 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD.

It was working perfectly fine up until the second week of december when it started turning itself off randomly, and then i started having issues with turning it on. Sometimes it turns on (very rarely) when i hit the power button, but often i can hear it "turn on" but not turn on, as in i can hear it doing something, but there's not power up light or anything, and if i hit the button again the noise goes away.

On one of the rare occasions i was able to turn it on with the power button, I was able to set it to wake up automatically at specific times, which it does (but then sometimes it will turn itself right off again after an hour or even just a few minutes).

Is this something major that's wrong? Or could it be a quick fix with a trip to a computer store to have something replaced?

I've grown quite attached to my little mac, i would hate to have to bury her!

thanks!
Have you tried this?-
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300341

Ask a Question