Problems with Gen4 iMac, sort of not starting up...

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could give me a heads up as to what might be the problem.solution (sort of an all out anxiety attack) regarding the inability to start-up my Generation 4 iMac...
Here's the story: All my trouble begain earlier today, when I sat down to do some work this morning. :( I turned on the computer, opened my program, went to adjust the screen so that I could see better, and then, a bit of a fizzled crackling noise... POOF, screen went black. Now, when I try to restart is, the LED light on the screen is lit, and it plays it's little start-up music, but there is just a black screen, no spinning sound of the harddrive, no fan, no other noise whatsoever, and the keyboard and mouse are not lit either...
Now, I have a few questions regarding what the issue could be, and will be taking it to a technician this evening... however, I was hoping on getting some insight into the issue first, so I am not going in there totally blind as to what my options may be.

This computer had the power supply replaced last year (I moved to the UK from the US and fried my little baby last year). That was at the cost of £350. I was desperate and HAD to get it fixed then, but now, I cannot afford to pay that to have it repaired. Anyway, that's not the important bit, lol!:eek:

My questions are as follows:
What could be causing this? Could it be something with the power supply or wiring?
Also, my graphic programs (well, just Flash & Dreamweaver) run in OS 9, If I have to replace this iMac with a new mac, will I be able to transfer my old programs and files onto the new one? Am I correct in assuming that anything that opens in OS9 will not be operational?
Basically, what are my options, and what would you recommend?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Sorry about your problems !

It's pretty hard to diagnose without getting 'your/my' hands on it...

It could be various different things...the PSU again the LCD display, could just be a cable, etc.

Sorry.

Is the Powersupply 'repair' still under warranty ?

As for options...again it could be anything, is the engineer an Apple Quailified one ?

You could always report back his/her findings, and we can see if it makes sense !

As you suspect, there is not an easy route of using your OS9 apps on one of the new Intel Macs. Technically they do not support 'Classic' (OS9 to you and me !)

There are however some ways of running OS 9 apps, but this is under emulation and may not be particularly great !

I know the upgrades to OS X versions are quite expensive ! If upgrading the software is to costly maybe you will be better with a second hand Mac that can run OS 9. (this is of course if you Mac can't be fixed !)

Sorry it's no 'real' answer...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks so the quick respose Ric!
If you wouldn't mind going over what the technician says after we meet with him this evening, that would be stellar!
I would like to know if you think it's worthwhile to repair, based on his findings!
cheers,
lynn

Ask a Question