iMac A1076 no image

Reaction score
Hi, I recently picked up a cheap 20" G5 (a1076) for a project. When I power it on, it will make the chime sound and I can hear fans but absolutely no image is on the screen. I don't even see the screen light up at all (not sure if the back light is supposed to come on during startup). I ordered a capacitor kit for the logic board but since I don't get any image at all I'm doubting that's the issue. Any advice would be appreciated, I'm going to try and connect it to another monitor to see if I get any image there, do I just need that mini-DVI to hdmi cable or is there other things I need to connect it to a different monitor?

Reaction score
I ordered the mini-vga adapter last night and I'll try hooking it up to another monitor to rule out whether its the logic board or the screen itself.

Reaction score
Since I'm fairly certain the GPU on the logic board is the issue I ordered a replacement logic board and a capacitor kit that for the new board.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Because Apple doesn't release schematics, and Apple Authorized Service Providers don't do component-level repairs of boards, there isn't any information out there as far as capacitor replacement or diagnostic troubleshooting of that type.

If the external display didn't work for you, then it probably is logic board related, as the video board is built-in. If it did work, and the LCD panel isn't lighting/showing video, then it is probably the LCD panels or cabling.

Not much else I can suggest I am afraid.

C

Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering I replaced the logic board with the 2.0 GHz processor version and added 2 GB of ram for fun and now this old iMac is alive again! There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the LCD.

For the used replacement logic board I replaced the thermal paste obviously, and I had ordered a capacitor kit which required at least a 60 watt soldering iron to remove the old capacitors, which was kind of a nightmare to replace.

Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering I replaced the logic board with the 2.0 GHz processor version and added 2 GB of ram for fun and now this old iMac is alive again! There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the LCD.

For the used replacement logic board I replaced the thermal paste obviously, and I had ordered a capacitor kit which required at least a 60 watt soldering iron to remove the old capacitors, which was kind of a nightmare to replace.

Are you going to keep the failed logic board to experiment on and replace the capacitors and ReFlow and or ReBall the GPU?
OR
are you going to get rid of the faulty board?
if you're planning on getting rid of it, may i please have it so i can practice my reflow and ReBall techniques?

thank you so very much

Ask a Question