iBook won't recognise any webcam

Reaction score
Hi Maccas -

I'm trying desperately to video phone my kids with their grandparents, but can't seem to get any programs (skype, sightspeed, ichat etc etc) to recognise my camera. At first I thought this was my cameras (Sony DV) fault, but now I've borrowed a couple of friend's webcams and they don't work either. iMovie will pick up the DV cam and I can see the devises in System Profiler, just can't seem to get them to work with any chat applications.

Any hints? I'd love to link them up for Xmas!

Thanks heaps

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi Maccas -

I'm trying desperately to video phone my kids with their grandparents, but can't seem to get any programs (skype, sightspeed, ichat etc etc) to recognise my camera. At first I thought this was my cameras (Sony DV) fault, but now I've borrowed a couple of friend's webcams and they don't work either. iMovie will pick up the DV cam and I can see the devises in System Profiler, just can't seem to get them to work with any chat applications.

Any hints? I'd love to link them up for Xmas!

Thanks heaps

Hi, I found this info on the internet, so give it a go and let me know if it works for you:

Quit Skype, then download the driver from the here.

Make sure the correct version (1.5.0.61) is in your apps folder which it was, then hooked up my Sony DV camera into iMovie via the normal firewire cable as if I was about import another movie project. I switched to camera view and then opened Skype, then preferences/video and the camera was already recognized as the device.

Reaction score
iChat OUGHT to recognize that Sony DV camcorder (tho be aware most DV cams shut themselves down after a few minutes if they are not actively recording to tape! So that can be frustrating when trying to troubleshoot). In iChat's VIDEO menu make sure 'Camera Enabled' is checked - then do VIDEO PREVIEW.. And click the PREFERENCES button to verify your video and audio input sources.

USB web cams are such a ****-shoot on the Mac - so few models 'Just Work' so I set up a website www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com just to address this issue and help people find known Apple Macintosh OSX webcams that do. Webcams that are 'UVC-Compliant' are just plug and play - no drivers needed - on OSX 10.4.9 and above.

You might try the Open Source MACCAM (do a Google search on 'maccam driver') and it _might, maybe, possibly_ allow some of the USB cams you've been trying to suddenly work. (Again, make sure in whatever video conferencing / chat app that you dig into Preferences.. to really verify what and if a given video source is properly selected.)

Ask a Question