Ibook g4 the volume could not be repaired

Reaction score
OK so I know its old but I still have hopes it might still be fixable. My iBook g4. Won't get passed the grey apple startup page just sits their loading and turns its self back off,,,I safe modes it and fsck,,,,,and this is the message I get,,,,,I know pretty much nothing about Mac computers so I would really appreciate some help,before I bin it,,,
Anyone tell me if its fixable I'm not really that worried about wiping and starting a new
Incorrect block count for file mach.sym( it should be 177 instead of 0)
Incorrect block count for file utmpx( it should be 1 instead of 0)
EF invalid index key(4,4907)
Rebuilding catalogue
The volume could not be repaired
/dev/rdisk0s3(HFS)
Exited with signal 8

Any help would be appreciated

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Those errors usually mean the hard drive is corrupted and/or may be failing. Normally, the recommendation is to erase and reinstall, as Disk Utility and applications like DiskWarrior cannot repair it.

If you attempt to perform an erase and install and it fails, then the hard drive has a hardware failure.

Hope that helps.

C

Reaction score
Can I get by this by plugging an external hard drive in and rein
staling

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Apple implemented starting up from USB devices with the Intel Mac, so the G4 Macs can only startup from external FireWire drives or CD/DVDs in the internal optical drive.

-Which exact model is the iBook G4?
-Do you have an Apple OS X install disc?

C

Reaction score
Hey yeah its a iBook g4 a-1054. I don't remember what the OP version on it was thou,,,leopard or tigar maybe,,,? if anyone can point me in the right direction to download ,,,,unfortunately haven't found the installed disk

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply...

There are several iterations of iBook G4 that use the model number A1054 - iBook G4, iBook G4 (Early 2004), and iBook G4 (Late 2004). They originally shipped with OS X 10.3 Panther through OS X 10.4 Tiger, depending on the specific model and when they were originally purchased. The maximum version of OS X is 10.4.11 Tiger through 10.5.8 Leopard, also model dependent.

You could enter the serial number here to get the exact model name: Check Your Service and Support Coverage

There isn't anywhere to legally download old versions of OS X of Panther through Leopard. You would need to purchase a used copy of the original install discs, or a retail version of Tiger or Leopard.

C

Reaction score
Why does recovery mode not work on the machine??? So best method of reinstall would be to get a external HD FireWire and load the OS installed onto it??

Ask a Question