Ibook G3 ? when booting up

Reaction score
My Ibook G3 500Mhz 384 RAM 15 GB HD gets a ?/OS 9 Face (whatever its called) when its booting up. I just installed a DVD drive into it so i could install Lepord but it wont boot from the DVD Drive and I dont no what to do! It had Panther on it before but i think i wiped it off when me and my genious brain decied to use a magnetice Srewdrive to take the thing apart. PLZ HELP!

Thanks----Computer7geek9

Reaction score
Ok I Just Borrowed an external DVD drive from a friend and it boots up from that but it stops at the loading sreen and "loads" forever and the DVD drive stops running while it continues to load. If anyone can help it would be greatly aprieciated!

Thanks----Computer7geek9

Reaction score
Like he said. There is NO WAY leopard can run on the G3. Quite frankly I am surprised you got panther to run on the G3. No offense intended, but your computer is very old. its 5 generations old. The G3 is not even powerful enough to render MPEG2 video. IT CANNOT EVEN PLAY DVD's, even if it had a DVD drive, it cannot read the video files on the DVD discs. I'm sorry you spent money to upgrade the computer. Its not worth it, not in the least bit. The G3 is not even viable for web 2.0.

The G4 was a big step over the G3, making the core functions of Mac OS X possible. If you CANNOT get a new computer, install xubuntu linux or something. That computer is too old to do anything with OS X.

Reaction score
I have to disagree with you there. When I had Panther running on it ran fine with no lag at all. Also My friend has one with a DVD drive and it will play DVD movies(it takes a while to load, but thats the only problem) Im not trying to be rude or prove you wrong, but those are the facts that I know.

Ask a Question