I Need Help!!!!!

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP!!!!!
O.K.,
I held down "control", then clicked "the mouse" on the "hard drive icon", then get a

"pop-up window", and choose "get info", another "window pops-up" on the "far left",

then "expand" (dark arrow pointng down) "ownership & permissions", then under

"access" (both "accesses" and "other"), click the "read & write" option, and change to

"NO ACCESS!". once they all say "NO ACCESS!", close the "window". Then all of the

sudden, the "dock dissapearse", then the "hard drive icon", then the "screen

thurns black" with "white writing" on it!!!!!!

WHAT DO I DO!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

IM GREATLY THANKFUL!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE REPLY ASAP!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP!!!!!
O.K.,
I held down "control", then clicked "the mouse" on the "hard drive icon", then get a

"pop-up window", and choose "get info", another "window pops-up" on the "far left",

then "expand" (dark arrow pointng down) "ownership & permissions", then under

"access" (both "accesses" and "other"), click the "read & write" option, and change to

"NO ACCESS!". once they all say "NO ACCESS!", close the "window". Then all of the

sudden, the "dock dissapearse", then the "hard drive icon", then the "screen

thurns black" with "white writing" on it!!!!!!

WHAT DO I DO!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

IM GREATLY THANKFUL!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE REPLY ASAP!!!!!!!!!
Wow, this is the first time that I heard this! Have you tried booting up from your installation disc and repairing the disc and permissions?

Reaction score
Wow! Looks like Joe isn't the only one who has done this! I have a couple of spare eMacs sitting around and I'm tempted to do what Joe did to one of them out of curiosity. Interesting.

Reaction score
No access means just that - you will have no access to the hard drive and therefore the OS in general and hence why the dock disappeared.

Out of curiosity, why did you not want access?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I think some Admins mistakenly think that altering the permissions to "No Access" will stop prying eyes and only realise in hindsight that "No Access" means exactly that - for Standard Users & Admins alike.

Like 'rus666 said ^ I too felt tempted so I created a new folder and changed the permissions to "No Access" and found that I was unable to change them back 'cos I had ... yep, you guessed it - "No Access"

Reaction score
I think some Admins mistakenly think that altering the permissions to "No Access" will stop prying eyes and only realise in hindsight that "No Access" means exactly that - for Standard Users & Admins alike.

Like 'rus666 said ^ I too felt tempted so I created a new folder and changed the permissions to "No Access" and found that I was unable to change them back 'cos I had ... yep, you guessed it - "No Access"
Really? I would think that you would be able to change the permissions of the folder back to their original state. A possible (I'm not sure) exception to this would be only having a regular user's account opposed to an administrator's account.
If a simple folder is causing such a problem, imagine dealing with a hard drive.
Hopefully, at the very least, he can erase the drive and reinstall the OS. Quite frankly, I'm at a loss. Further research is definitely required.

Reaction score
I would imagine you would have to boot up as root user and re-enable it with unix commands that way.

Reaction score
Yeah, my earlier link had instructions on how to do that ...

Ooopps sorry, I did not see your link, when in a rush, I just usually read the first post and then answer in quick reply, which is what I did initially, then thought about it and surmised that Unix commands/root user would probably work so quick replied again.

Ask a Question