Huge "crashreporter.log" file monopolizing hard disk

Reaction score
On one of our iBooks here at the office we discovered (after viewing the hard disk contents using GrandPerspective) that there is a massive log file called crashreporter.log. It is over 11GB!!! I assume this file is supposed to keep a record of evey application crash? Somehow it’s gotten to be so large that it’s probably the reason for most of the crashes. The computer is extremely slow. Is it alright to just delete this file? It’s too big to back up to DVD, otherwise I’d delete first and ask questions later.
Please advise!

Thanks,
Seth

Reaction score
You should be able to delete those logs without causing any harm but I suggest reading the logs to determine what's causing those crashes before you delete them. Here's a great freeware app called MainMenu that cleans logs and much more. I use it once a week and it keeps my Mac purring like a kitten.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25902

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
On one of our iBooks there is a massive log file called crashreporter.log. It is over 11GB!!! Is it alright to just delete this file? Please advise!

Hi Seth,

It's quite ok to delet the crashreporter.log file but I'd keep an eye on things to see if there is any underlying problem that keeps popping up.

The crashreporter.log file will be recreated and I'd recommend just checking it from time to time to see if there is something that is recurring and blowing the log out to massive proportions again .... :)

Ask a Question