Can't find huge file I accidentally restored

Reaction score
Hi everyone

So after getting my mac back from having a new HDD installed, I tried restoring the system using my Time Machine backup. Without knowing how, I just went straight to the Time Machine and restored a big file (119 G) that was supposed to be my entire backup. I later found out that the proper way to restore the system was through the migration assistant, but when I went back to try and find the accidentally restored file, I couldn't find it. When I go to check storage usage, the yellow "other" bar is huge, and I assume accounts for the 119 G file I'm trying to find. I know this is a weird case but this thing is taking up a huge chunk of my space and I need it gone. Thanks for your help!!

Reaction score
Open a Window into you home space. (lets hope you put it there)
Click in the Search field, top right of the window.
Press Space bar (I know strange)
A Ribbon should appear below the Search field.
At the Right End is a Plus button, click it.
From the Kind popup menu choose Size
make equals > Greater Than
Enter 100 and change the File Size to GB

Reaction score
Tried it and still nothing... the thing is I restored the file from an admin account I already deleted (hoping that would delete the file) but the storage space is still being taken up. :confused:

Reaction score
ok, do the same steps as above but this time open a Window into the Main Boot Drive.

Reaction score
Tried that and still nothing, so I took it to a service center and they told me the only way to fix it is to return the mac to factory setting. Thank you for your help anyway!

Ask a Question