huge problems with Safari on Yosemite

Reaction score
I cannot click through to Safari from my mail app, and when on Safari almost every time I click another wretched advert appears, even if I am in the middle of a process with one url, like banking, although I have tried using adblock and have stopped popups
please advise somebody? I have used Onyx to try and clean up, it does not really help.

Reaction score
Not sure why you can't click on a link in an EMail (I assume you use Apple Mail) and have Safari subsequently launch. Maybe a setting in your EMail program got "hosed".

Regarding the other issue, there are two free programs you can download to try and get rid of that garbage. The first one is AdwareMedic. You can get it from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/52105/adwaremedic

I have successfully used it, and others have also reported success with it.

The second one is a Virus detection/removal program called ClamXav. You can get it from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15850/clamxav

Try AdwareMedic first, and see if that gets rid of the issue.

Finally, do you have the latest version of Safari? It is V8.0.4. You can get it from the Apple Store.

Reaction score
Thank you so much Honestone! Immediately I download Adwaremedic my Safari works beautifully. God knows what happened to it, but it was simply going mad before. This is an excellent cure. I will also try the virus detection-
Thank you again

Reaction score
You're most welcome! Glad it cured your issue. And, going forward, it would be good to run AdwareMedic and ClamXav "every so often", just in case any "hidden" issues might arise.

Reaction score
Well, after 20 years with a Mac (started with an LC2) am discovering trojans and all sorts of phishing tackle in my macBook pro. Wowsers! All very strange. Lots of files, will be an exciting run through to find and destroy maybe years of crud. Again thanks, and i will certainly take your good advice. This forum is really too good to be true

Reaction score
You're most welcome! Glad it cured your issue. And, going forward, it would be good to run AdwareMedic and ClamXav "every so often", just in case any "hidden" issues might arise.
So, when ClamXav has run and exposed all the viruses, what do I then need to do to get rid of them all? Many are phishing emails for instance. There seem to be very many and it was beginning to worry me that my MacBook was getting so slow and buggy.It will be running through the night now as i have large hard drive! Do I simply have to 'quarantine' the viruses as the icons suggest? Is that sufficient or does the app get rid of them automatically?
Thanks for your enormous help

Reaction score

Ask a Question