How to upload huge file from digital camera to my mac?

Reaction score
My boyfriend got a bit carried away with filming my horse riding lesson, and the total file size is about 2.5GB, time 36 minutes.

I have an Intel Core Duo iMac, 2GHz, on 10.5.6 operating system. I have the standard iLife that came with it...Not the newest one, the one before. The camera is a Nikon S700 with a Sandisk memory card.

Usually I connect my camera to my computer and iPhoto launches and shortly afterwards my photos/videos are uploaded. However, this time it would stay on half completed and the ever spinning beachball. It actually ran out the battery on the camera from a full charge as I wanted to check it didn't just need more time.

I've searched around and found out iPhoto doesn't like large files - I didn't realise this and didn't know my boyfriend wasn't going to film in chunks, but anyway, not his fault.

I have tried connecting my camera and a external hard drive to my boyfriend's windows laptop. It recognises the camera as a removable disk and the files come up. I tried to copy and paste the video to my external and it said I didn't have enough room. Not likely on a 500GB hard drive! Then the stupid laptop crashed!

The trouble is I have no way to access the files directly on my computer when the camera is connected, so I can't try copy and pasting on my machine. I tried image capture but it froze again.

If I connect my Nikon D50 it comes up as a removable drive which is handy, pity my S700 doesn't.

I tried the memory card in the D50 but it didn't like the card!

Please help if you can and apologies if this is in the wrong forum!

Reaction score
Try getting a memory card reader, they're pretty cheap and they're often much faster than transferring the files directly from the camera, the card will show up on the desktop, and you won't worry about using up the camera battery just to copy the images to your computer.

Just be sure to get one for the type of memory card you have, though most of the readers can take many different cards.

Ask a Question