How to send document by email?

Reaction score
Hi Mac users,
I sure hope you can help me. I frequently create TextEdit RTFD documents that combine text and photos. Problems arise when I try to email them. Using Yahoo/Firefox, I can only send pdf's or jpgs. To create a jpg I have to Save As a pdf first, then Save As a jpg.

Trouble is, the pdf format breaks up the document into unwanted pages. Wide margins reduce the size and readability of the text and photos. Photos end up on pages corresponding with the wrong text.

I've tried saving each pdf page as an individual jpg, cropping out the margins, then piecing the jpgs back together in emails. But it turns out looking like a mess.

I just want to send the file as I created it in RTFD format. If there was some way to create a jpg from an RTFD document without having to go through the unwanted pdf stage?

Thanks for any help you can give me,

creekgirl

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-You are using Yahoo! email in Firefox to send the emails, correct?
-Is there a specific reason you are creating RTFD docs? Could you use a different document type?
-Do you have any other word processing apps like Pages or Word?

C

Reaction score
Thanks for responding, Cory! I use RTFD because that's the TextEdit format in which I can combine text with photos. I don't use Pages or Word.

I did find a work-around to the problem of emailing text/photo documents. I had been trying to transfer the entire RTFD text/photo document from TextEdit to Yahoo/Firefox email by cut/paste or click/drag. This did not work, the photos would be left out. But I finally figured out I can cut/paste or click/drag the text, and then insert the photos separately back in place as jpgs.

(This spares me awful pdf's that shrink everything, add ridiculously wide margins, and break text and photos up into misappropriated pages. Then the pdf has to be emailed as an attachment at the bottom of the email where it can be overlooked by the receiver. I much prefer the text/photo document being the body of the email, not a pdf attachment.)

Before my MacMail and Safari programs started causing problems and had to be disabled, I could easily transfer whole TextEdit RTFD text/photo documents to the body of emails with no problems. This is just one of many inconveniences of having to use Yahoo/Firefox until I replace my 8 year old Macbook.

thank you again,

creekgirl

Last edited:

Ask a Question