How to install YouTube and Facebook on iOS 12.5.7

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new around here and could use some help. I own an iPhone 6 Plus which is currently running on iOS 12.5.7. I'm trying to download YouTube and Instagram from the App Store, but it says I need iOS 14 to install them. Is there any workaround or solution to get these apps on my phone without the required iOS version? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi Morten,

Running into app compatibility issues with older versions of iOS can be quite frustrating. Since your iPhone 6 Plus is limited to iOS 12 and cannot update to iOS 14 or newer, you won't be able to directly download the latest versions of apps like YouTube and Instagram from the App Store that require newer iOS versions. However, there is a potential workaround you can try to install older versions of these apps that are compatible with iOS 12.5.7. Here's what you can do:
  1. Apple ID Purchase History: If you've previously installed the app you're trying to download on another device using the same Apple ID, you might be able to download an older version of the app from your purchase history that's compatible with iOS 12.
    • Open the App Store on your iPhone.
    • Tap on your profile icon at the top right.
    • Go to "Purchased" > "My Purchases" and find the app.
    • Try to download it from there; if an older version is available, the App Store should prompt you to download the last compatible version.
  2. Using Another Device:
    • If you have access to a newer iOS device (like a friend's or family member's), sign in with your Apple ID.
    • Download the apps you need (YouTube, Instagram) on that device.
    • After doing this, go back to your iPhone 6 Plus, follow the steps mentioned above, and check your purchase history. The App Store should now offer you the option to download an older version of these apps.
  3. iTunes Version with App Store:
    • If you have access to a version of iTunes on a computer that still supports app management (iTunes 12.6.3 or earlier), you can download the apps to iTunes and then sync them to your iPhone. This version of iTunes is older and not supported by Apple but might help in downloading older versions of apps.
If these options don’t work, you might need to explore alternative apps that still support older iOS versions or use web versions of services like YouTube and Instagram. You can access these through Safari or another web browser on your iPhone.

Good luck, and I hope this helps you get the apps running on your iPhone 6 Plus!

Ask a Question