How to install OS in a G4 733 system

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I am very new to the Mac world and recently purchased two G4 systems. A G4 Server 1GHz M4983 and a G4 733 MHz M5183. Also got in the deal OS cds. Well...a Tiger DVD and a set of 4 CDs.

These are titled "Power Mac G4 - software restore, Mac OS versions 9.2.1 and 10.0.4", "1 or 4" until '4 of 4' and also written is CD Version 1.0, Z691-3187-A. There is another CD along with them is not part of the set though it looks the same in color and is titled similarly, except it says "SSW verision 9.0.4, CD version 2.2, Z691-2801-A".

OK..this is heady stuff. Well was able to successfully installed the Tiger on the G4 server. But nothing will work on the G4 733 machine. When i try the CDs, if lucky i get a screen with very bad VGA graphics and some messages asking me replace CD. usually nothing happens at all.

If i try the DVD of Tiger, the computer chimes and the big logo comes on and then the loading process starts. But after a few minutes, it get stucks. I have tried both thing many times.

Any and all suggestions will be welcome.

Also, can any body tell me what is the keyboard keys sequence to open the CD drive? My apple keyboard does not have a "open/close' key and the G4 server does not have a button the casing to let me open the bay. I was randomly pressing keys when i got it to open initially.

thanks a lot

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I am very new to the Mac world and recently purchased two G4 systems. A G4 Server 1GHz M4983 and a G4 733 MHz M5183. Also got in the deal OS cds. Well...a Tiger DVD and a set of 4 CDs.

These are titled "Power Mac G4 - software restore, Mac OS versions 9.2.1 and 10.0.4", "1 or 4" until '4 of 4' and also written is CD Version 1.0, Z691-3187-A. There is another CD along with them is not part of the set though it looks the same in color and is titled similarly, except it says "SSW verision 9.0.4, CD version 2.2, Z691-2801-A".

OK..this is heady stuff. Well was able to successfully installed the Tiger on the G4 server. But nothing will work on the G4 733 machine. When i try the CDs, if lucky i get a screen with very bad VGA graphics and some messages asking me replace CD. usually nothing happens at all.

If i try the DVD of Tiger, the computer chimes and the big logo comes on and then the loading process starts. But after a few minutes, it get stucks. I have tried both thing many times.

Any and all suggestions will be welcome.

Also, can any body tell me what is the keyboard keys sequence to open the CD drive? My apple keyboard does not have a "open/close' key and the G4 server does not have a button the casing to let me open the bay. I was randomly pressing keys when i got it to open initially.

thanks a lot
Hello, Don't quote me but it sounds as though your G4 733 may have a faulty optical drive. If you have an external drive you might want to consider using that instead. As for opening the drive, if you have a key with an underlined triangle on it, that's the "Eject" key. In addition, here's an Applescript that will eject the trays as well. Post six.

Ask a Question