How To Delete Apps That Wont Delete

Reaction score
I use AppCleaner and if I try to delete a protected app, it gives me the opportunity to change the preferences so that a protected app can be deleted.

Reaction score
How to Get Rid of Built-in Applications
Apple computers have no way of uninstalling or installing OS features, which means there is no easy way of uninstalling standard built-in apps that come with your Mac.

Prior to macOS 10.11 El Capital there was a way of removing built-in apps by means of terminal commands. For example, to remove the system Chess app located in the /Applications folder you would need to run the follow command (be sure the command you type is an exact match):

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Chess.app

sudo command

On macOS 10.11 and up, you are required to disable Mac’s System Integrity Protection. The process is a hassle on its own, and it is not recommended you do so, regardless of the fact that you can reenable it after uninstalling the app.

Built-in system applications typically don’t take much space and you should have no problem having them lie around. After all, even if you delete them macOS will automatically reinstall them in the future update.

Ask a Question