How to avoid installing new OS

Reaction score
Greetings, Newbie and technology illiterate speaking:(
Mac wants me to update to its latest and greatest OS. I don't want to. I like to wait until all of the "unintended consequences" are worked out. Plus I'm working on an older machine, that I'm still figuring out.
For days now, I have a sign in the upper right hand corner of my screen which reads. "Updates ready to install."
How can I avoid updating and get rid of the annoying alert on my screen?

Thanks Very Much,
Cheers!
Marlene

Reaction score
Hi Marlene,

I know what you mean by those "alerts". I get them also, although I use some third party products from the App store, and thus would like to know if updates are available. Too bad the App store does not allow for selective notification.

In any case, click on the Black Apple Icon in the upper left hand corner, select App Store, then select Preferences. You'll then see a System Preference screen for the App Store. Close to the top, you'll see a selection for "Automatically check for updates". For me, it is "selected", ie, checked. All you need to is de-select, ie, uncheck it. That should stop such alerts.

One thing, though, is that you won't see any security updates for the OS you are using (for example, Apple released one the other day for El Capitan), so you'll need to check those on your own.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm going to try it right now. Then I will remember to check back regularly for security updates.

Thank You So Very Much Honestone!!
Cheers!
Marlene

Reaction score
Greetings, Newbie and technology illiterate speaking:(
Mac wants me to update to its latest and greatest OS. I don't want to. I like to wait until all of the "unintended consequences" are worked out.

You are a wise newbie! Seriously, so many others have fallen in to the "latest and greatest" trap. Congrats on sidestepping it.

Reaction score
I'm going to try it right now. Then I will remember to check back regularly for security updates.

Thank You So Very Much Honestone!!
Cheers!
Marlene

You're most welcome, Marlene. Just out of curiosity, what exact Mac model do you have? And do you use any third party software, like Office 2011 or Office 2016?

Also, it would be good if you do daily disk cleanup, and weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs. And of course backups to an external device. There are both free and commercial tools to help you with that.

Ask a Question