?How? Help me create a simple unattended autodialer.

Reaction score
I am a caregiver for disabled adults and need our iMac ( CoreDuo; OSX 10.4.8 ) to automatically dial a phone number at specific times every day and enter a numeric code. For example: on Sunday at 2pm and 6pm dial "1-800-555-1234", pause for 8 seconds, dial "123456", pause for 4 seconds, hang up. The time to dial will change depending what day of the week it is. The iMac has a new Apple External 56K ( v.92 ) USB Modem ( Model# MA034 ). I've searched the internet extensively and have found discussions on "cron", but my programming ability is minimal. Please help.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

you could set a configuration in Internet Connect...and then write an AppleScript to dial the number...then delay etc...

First go to System Preferences-->Universal Access

And tick the box that says "Enable access for assistive devices"

This allows AppleScript to control the Apple User interface.

autodial-001.jpg

Next go to Applications-->Internet Connect

Click on the Internal Modem button.

Then click on the configuration popup and select "Edit configurations..."

autodial-002.jpg

You will be asked if you want to save the current configuration, you can say no.

Then this screen comes up, enter in the details that you want and save it.

autodial-004.jpg

Now we need to write an AppleScript to click the "Connect" button...

autodial-005.jpg

Unfortunately, just typing the numbers won't give the DTMF tones...so I'll have a look to see if I can figure that bit out...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
thanks Ric,

I'm with you so far; I don't follow it 100%, but I'm with ya.

After creating the script with Script Editor, I saved it in File Format: "script" and did not tic the box that says "Run Only" .

What if "Ric's Auto Dialer" is not the only Configuation for the modem? Must I make sure there's only one Configuation populated in the list?

Would putting the additional numeric string in with the phone number help? ex: "Telephone Number: 18005551234,,,,123456" (in the modem cofiguration in Internet Connect.)

...and how do I make this happen at 2pm every Sunday, 6pm every Sunday, 11:30am every Monday, etc...

Thanks again,
Pete

Ask a Question