How Do I Copy DVD?

Reaction score
Im new to macs. i have a dvd i need to copy..
i tried 3 times it copied it but the burned copy of the dvd will not play in regular dvd player???? said disk was dirty and it was not it was brand new..
These are not copyrighted disks... they are vhs tapes recorded to dvd

Reaction score
Im new to macs. i have a dvd i need to copy..
i tried 3 times it copied it but the burned copy of the dvd will not play in regular dvd player???? said disk was dirty and it was not it was brand new..
These are not copyrighted disks... they are vhs tapes recorded to dvd

Which app did you use to burn the disc and which brand of dvd did you use?

Reaction score
I put the disk i wanted to copy in the laptop copied files to the desktop..
put in blank disk copied files from desktop to blank disk and hit burn button????
Is that the wrong way to do it?????

Reaction score
Reaction score
Try MacTheRipper.
MacTheRipper said:
MacTheRipper is a free DVD ripper (extractor) for Mac OS X. It can extract commercial DVD movies to your hard drive, minus all the copy protections and region controls put in place by DVD publishers. You can then use various tools to burn the movie back to DVD-R for use in DVD players, or convert the movie to different formats for playback with a variety of devices.

Reaction score
I definitely recommend MacTheRipper as well. Although you can still download MTR 2.6.6 for free, the newer beta versions do require a contribution (gift). I highly recommend joining the MTR forum and supporting the developer of MTR as DVD rippers for Mac are becoming quite scarce! Keep in mind that MacTheRipper is just that, a ripper. It doesn't compress or burn movie files and it's not designed to rip non commercial DVD's (these discs don't require ripping).
http://www.ripdifferent.com/

Oddly enough I've never used Disk Utility to burn a movie DVD but you might want to give it a shot.
Duplicating a CD or DVD:
You can use Disk Utility to quickly copy many types of CDs and DVDs. In the steps below, you'll create a disk image of the disc, and then use that image to burn copies.

Disk Utility cannot create usable copies of discs that use an incompatible format or are copy protected. These include most movie DVDs and audio CDs and some software and data discs.

Insert the CD or DVD disc in your computer's optical drive and select it in the list of disks and volumes.
Choose File > New > "Disk Image from [name of disc]."
Type a name for the disk image.
Choose "compressed" or "read-only" from the Image Format pop-up menu.
Choose "compressed" to create a smaller disk image, and choose "read-only" to create a disk image that's quicker to create and open.

Click Save.
After Disk Utility creates the disk image, eject the original CD or DVD.
Select the disk image in the list of disks and volumes, and choose Images > Burn.
When the Burn Disc dialog appears, insert a blank CD or DVD, and then click Burn.
You can continue using the disk image to create as many duplicate discs as you need.

Here's a link for a free burner for Mac. I can't vouch for it but it is highly rated.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28245

Ask a Question