High Sierra

Reaction score
I have MacOS High Sierra. The version that came out after that (can't remember the name) totally locked up my vintage machine and the Mac people had to re-install High Sierra. Will this new version do the same thing?

Reaction score
I have MacOS High Sierra. The version that came out after that (can't remember the name) totally locked up my vintage machine and the Mac people had to re-install High Sierra. Will this new version do the same thing?

I have an older (2014) Macbook Pro that came with Mavericks. I updated right on up to High Sierra. I tried updating to Catalina, but it ran really hot, and really slow, so I backed off to High Sierra. Where I will remain for the life of this computer - it runs really well. If you don't need a feature from newer versions, I'd stay with High Sierra, which seems sort of a sweet spot. What is your Mac, model and year?

Reaction score
I agree that High Sierra works well, but I am getting messages from MS that I need to upgrade my OS to upgrade my MS Office version for the latest security updates, fixes and improvements. I have a MacBook Air, 13", 2012. It's slow for online work, but everything else works just fine.

Reaction score
I agree that High Sierra works well, but I am getting messages from MS that I need to upgrade my OS to upgrade my MS Office version for the latest security updates, fixes and improvements. I have a MacBook Air, 13", 2012. It's slow for online work, but everything else works just fine.
I'm getting the same messages from MS. Evidently, they support only the last 3 releases of MacOS, so each time a new one comes out, they drop support for the oldest. So now Big Sur is out, so High Sierra's got to go. Office will continue to work - it just won't receive updates. I believe the most recent version of MacOS to now have MS Office support is Mojave. If I really needed MS Office (which I don't - LibreOffice does everything I need), I'd either a) not worry about updates and ignore the messages from MS, or b) upgrade to Mojave. I will not try Catalina again - it just doesn't sit well with this computer (mid-2014 MacBook Pro Retina). I don't know if there's any reason to believe that Big Sur would be any better.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd just be content with Office/no updates, or consider Mojave. 2012 is getting to be a long time ago, in computer years. So is 2014 for that matter! Maybe ask in a separate thread what people's experience of Catalina/Big Sur is on a 2012 MacBook Air. It really is a pity that corporations abandon support for perfectly good hardware just because they're tired of it, or whatever...

Reaction score
Thanks, I think I'll just keep what I have and get through it. Mac calls my machine "vintage" but it does it's job. The problem is Mac makes their computers too well! :)

Reaction score
Thanks, I think I'll just keep what I have and get through it. Mac calls my machine "vintage" but it does it's job. The problem is Mac makes their computers too well! :)

I find my MacBook Pro 2014 to be more than adequate for my needs. High Sierra just works. Like I said, if I cared about MS Office, I'd consider going to Mojave, but as it is I really don't want to mess with it. Office will continue to work with High Sierra in any case - just no upgrades.

Yes, it is a well-made computer. Forgetting the software for a minute, I find the hardware to be oddly pleasing...

Reaction score
Hi,

Just my thoughts, but regarding the MacBook Air I believe it was only the Mid 2012 and later that could handle Mac OS Mojave, but the MacBook Pro should be fine if you have the correct resources. And you are looking at 64-bit Intel.

I personally stay as far away from anything MS as possible but do appreciate many do not have that luxury.

Ask a Question