High Sierra Prohibitory Symbol

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently replaced the 500gb in my mid 2011 iMac with a 480gb SSD. I installed from scratch, but ran into problems as I could only Internet recover to OS X Lion. The appstore would not work to allow me to install up to High Sierra - this machine is on the list of compatible High Sierra systems.

I restored a time machine backup from a mid 2017 iMac and everything seemed to be working well, however, I notice on bootup, the mac is displaying a prohibitory symbol for a few seconds, then an apple logo, it cycles through the prohibitory symbol and then apple logo for a few minutes before booting to High Sierra with no further issues. It is annoying, and worries me it could go wrong in the future.

I have run a first aid check on the disk...nothing.

If I try and run OS X Recovery, it just displays a permanent prohibitory sign, so it would appear something has gone wrong with the recovery partition. Sometime the OS X Recovery over internet option will work, but takes quite some time to load.

I have run diskutil verifyVolume on all of the volumes I am able to run it on, all have come back with no issues. Similarly, there are no outstanding App Store updates to be found. The computer works fine once booted, I am using it right now to post this.

Here is an output of the available volumes on the system, any advice on how to overcome this would be greatly appreciated:
iMac215:/ talksr$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *480.1 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 479.2 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Try reselecting the startup drive:

1.  > System Preferences... > Startup Disk
2. Click lock and enter password
3. Click once on startup disk to select it
4. Click Restart...

See if that fixes the issue and let us know.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Try reselecting the startup drive:

1.  > System Preferences... > Startup Disk
2. Click lock and enter password
3. Click once on startup disk to select it
4. Click Restart...

See if that fixes the issue and let us know.

C

Thanks for your kind post. I think I managed to resolve this before you posted.
I went on and re-formatted the HDD from Mac OS Extended (Journalised) to APFS. Then rebooted and waited for the recovery manager to kick in. It has reinstalled and so far so good. I will keep an eye on it over the next few days.

Thanks for your helpful post and Happy Christmas!

Ask a Question