High Sierra & Internet blocking

Reaction score
I just installed macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 on an iMac 17.1 Intel Core i5. After about an hour it froze. I rebooted and all was OK until I tried to access websites. Safari couldn’t establish a secure connection to Wikipedia, BBC news, & various other newspaper sites I’ve been accessing for a couple of decades. Google Chrome said “your connection is not private Attackers might be trying to steal your information from<insert webname> (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards)
NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
Automatically send some system information and page content to Google to help detect dangerous apps and sites."
(I didn’t)

Firefox and Opera were OK. I’ve ported over addresses from Safari to Firefox so can get on with things.

It seems High Sierra has reset some security parameters, but I can’t figure out where in System Preferences they can be restored to previous values.

Anybody know anything that might help?

Reaction score
Hmm, that is somewhat "scary" regarding Google Chrome (my primary browser), and Safari (which I hardly ever use). But I also use Opera. Anew version of Firefox, V 57.0, was released yesterday, and you can get it from here:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firef...VB9VkCh3K6wizEAAYASABEgIhavD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Surprisingly, that new version of Firefox is fast, and just about as fast as Google Chrome. Did you check that you have the latest version of Google Chrome?

I have not upgraded to High Sierra yet, as I am waiting for an upgrade to the important and critical program Tech Tool Pro? But your "encounter" with High Sierra is a potentially bad sign (hopefully only temporary).

Reaction score
Here's what worked for me I completly resetted safari preferences be sure to save your bookmarks first as these terminal commands will reset safari like brand new.
First export bookmarks then quit Safari.

Open Terminal - in Utilities and paste the following - make sure it is the same as here - particularly first and last characters - then hit return - it will save your Safari folder with a date stamp on your Desktop and delete several files.

mv ~/Library/Safari ~/Desktop/Safari-`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`; \

rm -Rf ~/Library/Caches/Apple\ -\ Safari\ -\ Safari\ Extensions\ Gallery; \

rm -Rf ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari; \

rm -Rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari; \

rm -Rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.WebKit.PluginProcess; \

rm -Rf ~/Library/Cookies/Cookies.binarycookies; \

rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/Apple\ -\ Safari\ -\ Safari\ Extensions\ Gallery; \

rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.LSSharedFileList.plist; \

rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist; \

rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist; \

rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.WebFoundation.plist; \

rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.WebKit.PluginHost.plist; \

rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.WebKit.PluginProcess.plist; \

rm -Rf ~/Library/PubSub/Database; \

rm -Rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.apple.Safari.savedState

Ask a Question