High Sierra Beta3

Reaction score
Got an email announcing the availability of new beta; am unable to install... message keeps telling me that "Installation of macOS could not continue. Installation requires downloading important content. That content can't be downloaded at this time. Try again later." This has been going on since 4:00 this afternoon. It's 12:15 now, 8 hours later and still the same message. I can't believe that Apple's servers are that slow.

Any advice (other than to skip the beta)?

Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

Since High Sierra is still in beta, the best support would be direct from Apple. Unfortunately, the Public Beta program doesn't have direct support like the Apple Developer Program.

Hopefully you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data, and aren't installing the beta on your only Mac or a production machine. That is definitely NOT recommended, since betas are still in development and things can go south very quickly, causing data loss.

That said, you could try deleting any partially downloaded installer files, restart, and attempt the download again.

C

Reaction score
Yeah, beta software, and especially for the Mac OS, is not always "easy" to work with. Also, there is the issue to which third party software will work with High Sierra.

Reaction score
I've backed up three different ways and there is nothing on this machine I would lose given catastrophic failure.
I bought this mini (late 2012) just to check it out and upgraded the ram to 16 gigs and added an OWC 480 gig Extreme SSD and I love this thing! It has been trouble free no matter what bone head stunt I attempted! Updates install with no hassle, very refreshing! I signed up for the Sierra beta testing and the High Sierra developer beta, So far so good, minor display issues but inexplicably most of them have sorted themselves out without my assistance. Overall I'm impressed with the speed and stability of this 10.13 beta.

Reaction score
That is the same machine I have! I did not upgrade the RAM, but I did replace the slow 5400 rpm 1 TB drive with a much faster Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD, and it is a pleasure to use. I don't do much in the way of running multiple programs at once, nor anything that intensive, so those "specs" are fine for my situation.

Glad to hear High Sierra is looking good. As Tom Cruise said, "I feel the need, the need for speed!". Hopefully High Sierra will deliver more speed.

Reaction score
I have an issue with opening up the ftp command line - sudo -s launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ftp.plist this is now coming back with error - no such directory?
Anyone have any ideas on this?

Ask a Question