Help

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I purchased my mac a few weeks ago and I've used Windows all my life and let me tell you.....I love my Mac....anyways......I was installing Perian a few nights ago and something weird happened......I was tinkering around trying to get AVI files to play in front row.....so I was installing a bunch of codec's.....Perian, Divix, Xvid....everything...not to mention Ihad the comp running for 48 hours because I was ripping and converting tons of dvd's....anyways during some point in all of this....I suddenly lost sound......I didn't notice when I lost it, it was sometime during all of this tinkering I was doing......anyways and I still couldn't get AVI files to playback......so I noticed the loss of sound....and I immediately restarted the comp.....when It restarted sound was restored and I can play AVI files in Front row.....

I was wondering if i did something wrong to cause the sound loss......It's a MacBook that I just purchased.....and I know there are virtually no known mac bred virus's around.....I was wondering If I screwed my comp up? Also I qualified for a free version of OSX Leopard.....would installing Leopard reverse any potential damage I may have done?

I've had virtually no problems since that night which was probably 3-4 nights ago.....but I know from windows problems can stay dormant for sometime being undetected.......or do you guys think im paranoid? haha Thanks for your time...

Matt

Reaction score
Maybe you pressed the mute button accidentally. It's in one of the PF/number keys. I'm not sure which one. Take a look at them and you'll see 3 keys with a speaker symbol.

Reaction score
Maybe you pressed the mute button accidentally. It's in one of the PF/number keys. I'm not sure which one. Take a look at them and you'll see 3 keys with a speaker symbol.

That wasn't it.....because I tested those keys and it said my sound was supposedly at max volume...

Reaction score
Did you also check your System Preferences > Sound? Another thing that might help is Disk Utility, especially after installing new or updated software. According to Apple, occasionally the user permissions associated with files or applications become damaged, which can prevent a file or application from working as it should. So, you might want to try to run Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility). Open the application, select the mounted volume for your hard drive and click "repair disk permissions."

Ask a Question