Help!

Reaction score
Help! My dad was MAC user and has thousands of family pictures on the hard drive of his MAC. He passed away and I'd like to get the pictures off the drive and onto an external HD the family can access with a PC. The problem is the administrator account is password protected. Here's the specs on the MAC:

OSX 10.2.8
Processor:400 MHz PowerPC G4

I hooked it up to my PC with a crossover eithernet cable and it shows up on my network, but I can't log into it. Is there a way to reload the OS so I can setup a new password?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Reaction score
Hi
The way round this is quite easy all you need is the original software disc. Start the Mac with this CD or DVD in the drive, hold down the C key so that the computer starts using the system on the DVD. You may find a window asking you for a language in which you want to operate in, select one and then proceed. You should find now that a menu bar appears on top of the screen. If you select utilities in the drop down menu you see click on the reset password, in the window that opens you may enter a password of your choice and there it is the password reset. Again from the utilities menu select start-up disk and select the Mac hard drive on the computer.
I hope you find this useful.
Regards
Teapot

Ask a Question