Help with Recovered IMovie File

Reaction score
Hello! My Mac completely died on me one day while working on what was basically a finished iMovie project I just hadn’t exported it yet when the computer crashed :(

My computer mechanic got the files off of my drive and gave them to me in a folder.

Folder has folders called
Proxies
Quicklook
Still Thumbnails
Project
Still images

I have tried opening the project in iMovie and it won’t open it.

Can anyone help me? I feel my project is probably lost forever but perhaps there’s a way to make this work. Thank you for your time in advance!!

Reaction score
When you say that your Mac died, do you mean the computer failed, or the hard drive failed? If the drive is ok, then you need the iMovie Library file. All your Project is in there. Double clicking the Library File will open iMovie and you'll get your Project.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply!! The computer itself failed and the drive unfortunately had some damage too. The man at the computer store thought he got all the files for the project to open, but when I re downloaded iMovie on the same mac with a new hard drive in it, and tried to load any of the old files, they won't open in it./ I do not see one labelled library file- perhaps I will send the drive back to him and see if he can find that file

Ask a Question