Help with logs?

Reaction score
I have an imac 10.5.8 PC powered and have (somehow) managed to delete the 'move to trash' button from logs, wondering if anyone might be able to help please?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hello Rosie and welcome to Mac Help Forums :)

When you have the log window open, try Ctrl + Right Click on the window menu bar where the "Move To Trash" icon should be. Then in the pull-down menu that appears, click "Customise Toolbar". You will then see another window which has a whole lot of icons that you can drag + drop onto the menu bar. "Move To Trash" should be there, so just drag it onto the menu bar and then click the "Done" button.

That should fix it : )

You must have accidentally pressed and held down the Command () key and then dragged the Trash icon off the menu bar ... that is the usual method of removing icons from window menus ...

Reaction score
Marty,

Thank you sooo much, that worked like magic!:

Now just wondering if i can 'get into' logs to delete others and give myself some space? When i click on logs i only get the last page i was on to delete, i can get other pages but the 'move to trash' button is faded compared to the rest so can't click on it:confused:
Obviously i'm new to this and am looking for advice on how to be more proficient and was hoping you could help?

Reaction score
Good morning Marty,

I know I'm not the only one on here needing help, but I have problems. LOL

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi Rosie, I'm not sure why the "Move To Trash" button is greyed out and I wonder why you are deleting logs ... surely they don't take up enough room on your hd to warrant this ... ?

Try downloading OnyX and running the cleaning tasks to help keep your mac running smoothly ...

Just be sure to download the correct version for your Mac :)

Reaction score
Hi Marty,
Thanks for your quick reply.
The mac I have got is second (or third?)hand (and with a windows keyboard)and when I got it I was told it has been 'overused' so I really don't know what's on there,(apart from lots and lots of games!!)
There are installations from 2007 and apparently I have OnyX, but have never used it as am unsure how to. It said I had to back up files before I used it and as you have probably already assumed I'm an absolute beginner,so any advice will be gratefully appreciated :)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi Rosie :)

Thanks for explaining this to me ... I would forget about manually deleting logs and let's concentrate on what can be done to clean up your mac, second hand or other it doesn't matter, it's all down to "what am i going to use this mac for?"

So, think about that and post back what sort of user you are going to be ... just emailing and web surfing? Are you going to use iPhoto to manage your digital photos ... do you have a video camera and will be using apps like iMovie or iDVD? What are your hobbies and how can you best use your mac to take them that little bit further?

Does the mac have more than one User Account? We have to know this because it's wise to have at least 2 accounts, one Admin acct and the other one a Standard acct which you will use for every day use. If you go into System Preferences ~> then click on Accounts (in the System section) you will/should see your account type in the left hand box in the new window that opens.

If there is already an Admin acct, then do you know the password? Down in the bottom left hand side of the same window you will notice a padlock ... the padlock may be unlocked or locked. Either way, you need that password.

Also, do you have the System Install Disc/s that came with this mac? You are going to need them sooner or later so we can deal with that later.

You are correct with OnyX advising you to Back-Up your data and files before using the app ... to be perfectly honest I don't run OnyX that often because my iMac is running fine for me. When I do run it, I run it from my Admin acct and don't touch my iMac while OnyX is doing it's thing. BTW, OnyX as do other maintenance apps for Mac OS X, will clean up your logs for you.

I strongly advise to forget OnyX for now and let's see what you have installed and what the next step is.

Have a look through your Applications folder for any apps that you think you are not going to need. Don't delete anything yet until you post back about them ... in the meantime, download and install this clean up app that is useful when we are deleting an app as it helps to gather up all the sundry cruft that is otherwise left behind when an app is deleted.

AppTrap

Reaction score
Hello Marty,
Sorry it's been so long since we last spoke but real life tends to get in the way sometimes lol.
Anyway I read what you said and went into systems prefs and I have an admin account and p/w,however that is the only account I have.
I'm afraid I don't have the systems disc's etc and would be unable to get them,
(I presume that's problem No. 1?)
I only use the mac for personal contacts,surfing,shopping,games ( The Gardens of Time at the moment on Facebook)and watching TV programmes( I have no telly)
so I won't be needing DVD's photos etc.
I also checked the OnyX and it was installed(presumably)when the mac was new and AppTrap is already there on the file.
I haven't touched OnyX or any apps, also I haven't deleted anything either incase I did the wrong thing.
Which kind of apps should I be looking for? Or is that a daft question?
I really hope I've answered your questions,but if I haven't obviously let me know and I'll do my best :)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi Rosie! I know what you mean about life getting in the way of things!

Ok, you really need to create another user account in Sys Prefs ~> Accounts and set it as a Standard Account. Then log out of the Admin Acct you've been using for every day websurfing/emailing etc, and log into YOUR new account ... a Standard type account. Make sure you have a really strong password for the Admin acct and don't use that account for every day stuff. It's bad security to do what you've been doing but I wouldn't worry about it, just carry on in your new account and have fun!

You can go out and buy a Snow Leopard disc for around about $30 - $40, depending where you live. That's dirt cheap compared to previous OS's ... the new OS, Lion, will be the same price too. That's all you need. You will be buying a Full Retail or Universal disc in the case of Snow Leopard & Lion and just forget about the original System Install discs that you can't get your hands on.

I'm using Snow Leopard and I absolutely love it. It's up to 10.6.8 now so there are little if no bugs left. I would strongly recommend it over Leopard. You just need to know which programs you most rely on and think about whether they work in a new OS version or not. That's where you need to google the apps name plus System Requirements. You'll find the info you need there.. so Rosie there's nothing to worry about there. If you are going to upgrade, just pop back here and we'll sort it out so you don't lose any photos or files etc.

With OnyX, I always boot my Mac up into safe mode (hold the Shift key down upon hearing the startup chime) and just fire up OnyX from the Admin Account and run the Cleaning & the Maintenance options.

Click for large view

Click for large view

So you run through the Tabs and just leave things set as they are and click on Execute to perform the tasks. There are a few restarts along the way and because there has been some cleaning done, your Mac will seem to take forever to start ... it will show the grey window for a while but believe me it WILL eventually go to the log in screen .. it only takes forever to boot up to this screen the once ... don't think your Mac is broken or if it is going to never start up. It will, I promise Rosie. That's OnyX for you, just leave all the settings as they are ... please look at them all as there is a option to show hidden files need you ever want that. You can also display some text at the log in screen like :

this mac belongs to Rosie ..... xx miracle drive Heaven etc etc ... this is incase your mac is stolen and someone takes it into a computer shop for repair etc.

AppTrap just runs in the background and if you delete an app, then AppTrap shows you some related files and asks you if you would like them to be deleted ...

Just make a note of any 3rd party app that are in your Apps folder and post it back here & I'll check it out. Or really Rosie, you should just look and ask youself if you need it. BUT please ask here before you delete anything.

Take care :)

Ask a Question