Help with FASTA-6GU3 and Seagate Backup Plus

Reaction score
I have a Mac Pro and am running OS 10.6.8. I recently installed a CalDigit PCI card (FASTA-6GU3) to use with my newly purchased Seagate Backup Plus desktop drive. They are both USB3.0 but I cannot get them to work together. I have spoken to both Seagate and CalDigit but no one knows what the problem is and I am hoping someone here can help me. The Seagate drive works fine when plugged into my existing USB2.0 port and the CalDigit PCI card seems to be working as I plugged a flash drive into the USB3.0 port and it showed up fine. However, when I plug my Seagate drive into the CalDigit card, I get a kernal panic. According to both CalDigit and Seagate, I have all of the current drivers and firmware. I have used Disk Utility to repair disk permissions and also the OSX cd to repair disk. I don't know what else to do as I'm not really technically savvy. I bought this PCI card specifically to use with this drive but they aren't working together. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Reaction score
Not a lot we can do, if the makers don't know. I suggest you take them back and tell the store they don't work.
Maybe there was a reason Apple didn't put USB 3 on those???

Reaction score
I wish I could return them but while I did just set it all up last week, I purchased them months ago and my return time frame has expired. I was naive to believe that they would work together right out of the box so I waited to open and use them until last week when I finally needed them. I guess I am hoping someone else who has the FASTA card will have a clue. Or if there is someone who has another fix I can try. I only thought to use Disk Utility but if there is something else to attempt for a fix, I'd love any ideas.

Thank you!

Ask a Question