Help with cloned drive and mirroring one to the other when you don't want to

Reaction score
I have a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5, 3 GB SDRAM, 1GHz CPU Speed running Tiger 10.4.11. I just bought a 1TB Fanton G-Force MegaDisk with eSATA/USB/Firewire. I'm connected via Firewire.

I have formated and partitioned the external hard drive then made a bootable clone of my internal drive using Carbon Copy Cloner 3.2.1. I'm not that familiar with cloning drives, so I observed how changes made to one will affect the other and vice versa.

Question: How can I stop mirroring the actions one from the other, so I can delete files and folders from the original drive without deleting them from the other? Do I have to target the drive instead of selecting which drive to startup with? Just selecting the startup disk and restarting hasn't allowed me to make any changes without affecting the other drive, so far. Is there a way to turn off this feature? Should I have used a backup program instead? If so, is there a free backup program for Tiger that you'd recommend? I don't want to buy anything as I'm trying to migrate over to Leopard 10.5.6. Is that the newest and final version for my G5?

Ask a Question