HELP! Static IP not working

Reaction score
Hi,

I am running OS X Yosemite on an iMac, standard Netgear home router with ethernet connection.

I had been running on DHCP only and it worked brilliantly. I now need a static IP address as I need to use some call handling software (Zoiper) that requires one.

I changed my network options to 'Using DHCP with manual address' and went through the stages of setting myself up a manual IP. Network box now looks as follows:

ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 192.168.0.222

Configure IPv4: Using DHCP with manual address
IP Address: 192.168.0.222
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.0.1
DNS Sever: 192.168.0.1
Search Domains: [empty]

However when I check my IP address online it is telling me my IP is something different and it also seems to change (assumedly these are IPs assigned by DHCP). Over the course of a few days I have had 85.211.108.209 and now 85.210.45.91

The problem is that the software I need to use has to be set up with the IP that shows online, and obviously at the moment that IP is DHCP and changing. This wouldn't be too bad if I could change the software settings myself every time my IP changed so that they continued to match. It would be annoying but not the end of the world. Unfortunately I don't have access to the other end of that software, my company does, and they don't want to have to bother changing my IP settings every couple of days, hence the need for a static IP that actually works.

I have tried a couple of workarounds:

1. Going to manual only - doesn't connect to the internet at all when I do that
2. Adding 192.168.0.222 to the DNS severs - still doesn't connect to the internet when in static IP only, still shows DHCP IP online when in combo mode

At a bit of a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions would be very gratefully received!

Thank you!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome Jasmine.

If the software requires a static IP, then you will probably have to work with your Internet provider to get a static IP from them. Most ISPs have dynamic IP addresses assigned via DHCP for home users and you have to pay extra for a static IP.

The steps you took above are correct for assigning your Mac a static IP on your local network, not the Internet, so that won't work.

-Who is your Internet Service Provider?
-Did they supply you with a modem/router?

I would contact your ISP's customer service and see what they offer as far as static IP addresses with your current Internet plan. Also, change your settings back to DHCP and clear any DNS entries so you can get online again until you find out what you need,

C

Ask a Question