HELP! ~ on 'com.apple.dock.extra quit unexpectedly'

Reaction score
Hi,
I need help on how to solve this message that keeps on popping up on my screen and restarts my MBP 15" right after. I can't do anything anymore because it keeps on recurring.. I'm no techie so I would appreciate it so much if there's a step-by-step how to?.. The MBP is on 10.8.5.. Thank you so much!..

Reaction score
A couple of questions:

1. What exact Mac Book Pro model do you have? You stated MBP 15", but what model year, and model designator?

2. Are you making backups to an external device?

3. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?

Reaction score
A couple of questions:

1. What exact Mac Book Pro model do you have? You stated MBP 15", but what model year, and model designator?

2. Are you making backups to an external device?

3. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?
Wow, thanks for the reply!..

Reaction score
1. (screen shot)
2. Yes, my files are backed-up on an external device..
3. The power on button was repaired 2 months ago, or something was replaced there as I had problem powering it on..
Thanks so much!.. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 3.03.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 3.03.33 PM.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 426

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I know that older versions of iTunes caused this issue previously. Did you do any software updates or install any new software just prior to this issue occurring?

C

Reaction score
This link has an interesting discussion about this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7503531?tstart=0

It seems that the eventual solution was to create a new user account, and the issue went away.

Also, a couple of clarifications about the questions I asked earlier:

1. You state "Yes, my files are backed-up on an external device..". What software are you using for that? Just dragging and dropping files/folders is not enough.

2. Regarding my question "Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?", have you done any of that? There is both some excellent freeware and commercial products that can help you with that. And by repair, I mean "software repair".

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I know that older versions of iTunes caused this issue previously. Did you do any software updates or install any new software just prior to this issue occurring?

C
I am not getting software updates re. iTunes lately maybe because my MBP is old already, and I haven't upgraded to Sierra just yet. And that's because I'm not sure if the MBP can handle Sierra update too..

Reaction score
This link has an interesting discussion about this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7503531?tstart=0

It seems that the eventual solution was to create a new user account, and the issue went away.

Also, a couple of clarifications about the questions I asked earlier:

1. You state "Yes, my files are backed-up on an external device..". What software are you using for that? Just dragging and dropping files/folders is not enough.

2. Regarding my question "Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?", have you done any of that? There is both some excellent freeware and commercial products that can help you with that. And by repair, I mean "software repair".
Thanks, I'll check the link..
For the clarifications:
1. I did just that, dragged and dropped.
2. I'll find 'software repair'.. Have you used any before already?.. :)

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check the link..
For the clarifications:
1. I did just that, dragged and dropped.
2. I'll find 'software repair'.. Have you used any before already?.. :)

First, just dragging and dropping files/folders is no where near enough. You need to use software to do actual backups.

Secondly, "software repair" is not a program! It's a process that one goes through, using various programs. The ones I use are 1) my own initiative to clean out stuff I no longer need, 2) Onyx, and 3) TechTool Pro. Onyx and TechTool Pro are programs that do disk cleanup, maintenance, and "software" repairs.

Reaction score
First, just dragging and dropping files/folders is no where near enough. You need to use software to do actual backups.

Secondly, "software repair" is not a program! It's a process that one goes through, using various programs. The ones I use are 1) my own initiative to clean out stuff I no longer need, 2) Onyx, and 3) TechTool Pro. Onyx and TechTool Pro are programs that do disk cleanup, maintenance, and "software" repairs.
I just downloaded Onyx too and the repair was successful.. Thanks!.. :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
What version of iTunes - 12.3.3.17?

Here is one thing to try:

Using OnyX, navigate to Parameters > iTunes and uncheck Turn on Dock Notifications. Restart your MBP and see if the issue persists. If so, we may have to do a quite involved file deletion, but it isn't anything that should hurt your system. It is excellent that you have a backup.

C

Reaction score
Using OnyX, navigate to Parameters > iTunes and uncheck Turn on Dock Notifications.

I don't see that option in the versions of OnyX that I checked, from version 2.7.4 (for MacOS Mountain Lion) through version 3.2.2 (for MacOS Sierra). Nor do I see any similar options anywhere in those versions of OnyX. The closest is at Parameters > Dock, in the section "Graphic effects", where you find the options for Dock icons to bounce when opening an application, or when an application wants to display an alert, but these don't help solve this problem either.

In later versions of OnyX (like 3.2.2), at Parameters > Misc, there's an option to turn off Notification Center, but it's not related to Dock Notifications, and turning it off doesn't help either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Without really seeing the error message, I can only guess ...does your screen slightly dim and then there is a box in the middle that has a message is 3 or 4 different languages? If this is what you are seeing then its a kernel panic.

This is when the OS is confused on a command. 90% of the time this is software related and possibly by non-apple approved software.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Without really seeing the error message, I can only guess ...does your screen slightly dim and then there is a box in the middle that has a message is 3 or 4 different languages? If this is what you are seeing then its a kernel panic.

This is when the OS is confused on a command. 90% of the time this is software related and possibly by non-apple approved software.

Joe
Thanks for the reply.. What can I do to resolve this, please?.. Thank you!..

Ask a Question